Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Best bedding?

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I am currently using kaytee clean and cozy bedding for my piggy but is that the right choice? or is carefresh a good choice? the lady at the petstore told me not to use the kaytee bedding because they tend to eat it. they told me to use the brand So Phresh paper bedding thats small almost like pellet size? does anyone know that brand? is it good? what do you for bedding thats not fleece? i am interested in fleece but not at the moment

Thanks!

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
I remember a thread a while back saying that So Phresh was not good bedding at all and was actually dangerous because of the baking soda. So don't use that. I would say your best bet with the non fleece route would be to go with Carefresh.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
You can try wood stove pellets. I only use them in the kitchen but many users on here use them all throughout the cage. They are about $5 for a 40lb bag and they are very absorbent. When wet, they turn to a sort of sawdust like mush, but not as fine so it's safe for the pigs. And when it's wet, you just stir it up with the rest of the pellets until it's gone or settled. Many people go weeks before doing a complete cage clean. The poop tends to just get stirred into the bottom so it's not noticeable. Some people use a fleece liner over the pellets, so it's softer for the pigs feet and the poop can be swept up. The urine wicks right through the fleece and into the pellets, and you just lift the fleece up and stir up the areas where they pee the most.

Wood pellets seem to really be the in thing right now for bedding. Give them a try. You can find them at Home Depots, lowes, runnings, menards, or any other home or farm store. But they tend to only stick around for the winter months, so stock up if you decide to go that direction. And make sure they are 100% natural with no added accelerants and no strong pine smell.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Is it scented Kaytee bedding? Guinea pigs have sensitive respiratory systems. I use carefresh and even if they eat it they are fine. You want a paper based bedding that's unscented and doesn't have baking soda added, or switch to fleece, or to wood pellets (look up what to avoid, pine is bad, etc.). There are many threads in the forum on bedding, and some stickies, just try a search if you want to research.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I personally have yet to find a wood pellet that I like (with little pine smell) so I use a mixture of compressed paper cat-litter pellets (non-clumping) with CareFRESH over the top. The pellets themselves are a lot softer than wooden ones, so I'm sure I could just use them on their own, but I feel as though CareFRESH helps with the odor, as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.