Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Less money to make own C&C cage...or buy one?

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I am a new piggy owner! recently just bought a piggy and i got his cage and stuff from petco, and to be honest the cage is smaller than id like and id like to get a second piggy sooner or later. Ive been looking into c and c cages but i see they can cost up to $70 or more and i was wondering if anyone thinks its cheaper to buy the material and make it yourself or buy a complete kit? and where can i find stuff to make my own? thanks for the help! lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take the Petco stuff back and get a refund.

You can definitely make one cheaper than that. You can sometimes find grids for free, or very cheaply, on Craigslist or Kijiji. Failing that, a box of grids costs about $25 at Walmart. If you can find a Sabic Polymershapes store near you ((broken link removed)), you can get coroplast for about $10-$12 for a 4x8 sheet. Or, if there are still political candidates signs around your city from the last election, you can get it for free.

Your pig needs a buddy, but please don't buy another one. Pet store pigs are often sick, missexed, have parasites, and the sows are often pregnant. They're bred, raised, and kept in horrible conditions. There are thousands of unwanted pigs in rescues and shelters that need good homes. We'll be happy to help you find a pig to rescue.

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
yeah id love to get a rescue piggy! is it ok to mix a petstore one with a rescue? where can i find a rescue place?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you? City/state, not your address. We'll help you find one.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
It's ok to "mix" the pigs. You will need to quarantine the new piggy before you introduce them, though, so they won't get each other sick. You can find rescues online, I recommend petfinder.com They have lots of pigs there, and usually different rescues. Even if the rescues end up not being super close, I know of a few that drive halfway to meet the new owner.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Adding on to the coroplast where to buy, ive found coro at all the home depots ive been to around the twin cities. Im willing to bet you could find it if there are home depots near you. I got a 72x36" sheet for about $17, and there are more sizes than that.

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
Massachusetts near the boston/worcester/lowell area ! I have been doing some research and happened to find a cute male guinea pig from the lowell humane society! i sent an email to see if he is still there, is it a good idea to mix a pet store bought piggy with a rescue or does it not matter? and how would i introduce a new male piggy..would they fight? sorry im so new

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
how would i quarantine him? put him in a separate cage for a couple weeks?

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
Now im just hoping that the male guinea pig i bought from petco is actually a male...ive been reading that mistakes with gender can be made and it makes me nervous..mine is currently at the vet because i thought he might be getting sick...hopefully i can have someone verify for me if he is actually a male or not...i really hope so

MadameMiranda

Cavy Gazer
I'd take the Petco stuff back and get a refund.

You can definitely make one cheaper than that. You can sometimes find grids for free, or very cheaply, on Craigslist or Kijiji. Failing that, a box of grids costs about $25 at Walmart. If you can find a Sabic Polymershapes store near you ((broken link removed)), you can get coroplast for about $10-$12 for a 4x8 sheet. Or, if there are still political candidates signs around your city from the last election, you can get it for free.

Your pig needs a buddy, but please don't buy another one. Pet store pigs are often sick, missexed, have parasites, and the sows are often pregnant. They're bred, raised, and kept in horrible conditions. There are thousands of unwanted pigs in rescues and shelters that need good homes. We'll be happy to help you find a pig to rescue.
I wish I had known that before I bought mine. But I wasn't looking for piggies.I was looking for a hamster and the small hole in the wall pet store was out. I was disappointed because I got the best hamster from them. And petsmart sent me home completely unprepared and with only one. No information that would have been.useful.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Check out Goodwill, craigslist and freecycle to see if you can find cheap or free grids. I get my coroplast from Sabic Polymershapes Distribution Center. Google it and see if you have one in your area. You can also go to your local political headquarters to see if they have old signs they're getting rid of. They're made of coroplast and can be used to make your base. I can usually build a 2x4 with connectors for about $18 and one with zip ties for about $20 since I have grids on the bottom when I use zip ties.

Heatherwells

Cavy Slave
Hey there, I did the same thing.
I got our Smudge, from Pet Co. at the end of December. I did buy a Guinea Pig Care book though at the same time, and learned that they shouldn't be alone, that they need a much bigger cage than the one I bought (the one Pet Co. suggested), and that they should have fresh Veggies each day. P.S. Our little Smudge had ringworm developing when we got him.

I ended up buying C & C grids from Staples online, and coroplast at Home Depot. I spent far more than I would have online, but got a lot more grids (Because I wanted to give him a two level home), and created storage underneath. Joanns currently has 50% off Fleece, so I bought up the fleece. We adopted Spiker from a shelter, we did a play date there at the shelter to make sure they get along, and that shelter also does well checks, nail clipping etc.. I did notice they coughed and sneezed more with the paper, and pine bedding. I love the fleece, but I sweep up the piggie poo twice a day, and have to wash bedding twice a week, because I have't made enough pee pads to swap out daily (yet). I have 2 fleece liners for each level, 1 bumper for the walls on each floor, 4 kitchen matts. Those are perfect, but I have six pee pads in there at all times, and would like to make enough to switch those out daily (for doing laundry once rather than twice a week). You can take your time an upgrade gradually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.