Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

grids for a stand

My c&c is made out of whitmor grids, is there a cheaper alternative? I assume not since it's the cheapest I've seen but thought I'd ask anyway. I can only order online, I am not able to go to the store so any websites would be great.

Also, has anyone had experience putting their guinea pig cage on a stand to keep them safe from a cat? I got my cat right before christmas, and she has shown a lot of interest in the guinea pigs, but she was never interested in hunting them. She would be face to face with Lila(who loves the cat) and she wouldn't try to touch her or anything, would just sit there and stare. The other day, she stuck her paw in the cage for the first time but I thought it was innocent because I had just put a new toy in the cage and I thought she was just checking it out. This morning, I caught her trying to hit my other guinea pig, Harper, with her paw and then she was starting to crouch and lunge at the cage. All of sudden she has a hunting instinct with them. So I think a stand is the best solution.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Re: grids for a stand

I actually use the whitmor grids too, as they're the cheapest I've found, and i have them shipped site to store through walmart since it's free. Plus I get a discount since I work there. But otherwise you could look on bed bath and beyond, they have similar grids for $20 in stores. I'm not sure about online since you would have to pay shipping. I buy the whitmor ones because they carry them in white and most places don't.

I use the same grids for a stand for my cage. I like the stand more because it's easier access to the cage, and easier to clean since it's on a raised surface. Our cats can still reach their paws in if they stand on their hind legs. I don't think the cats would hurt them, as I've accidently locked Cricket in my room before my lid was finished and I came back to find her sleeping in the corner of the cage with the piggies running around her like normal. But I still don't trust either of them. If you're worried about the cat getting in, a stand isn't going to stop her. You need a lid. You can make one out of grids, or out of wire closet shelving.

Overall the grids are your cheapest method for building a cage. And a stand is more for you than anything. But it is better to have the pigs off the floor, as there are fewer drafts. You can buy a small table or use grids as a stand, but you'll have to buy twice as many grids for the stand, since it uses more than the cage itself.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HollyLeaf View Post
    I actually use the whitmor grids too, as they're the cheapest I've found, and i have them shipped site to store through walmart since it's free. Plus I get a discount since I work there. But otherwise you could look on bed bath and beyond, they have similar grids for $20 in stores. I'm not sure about online since you would have to pay shipping. I buy the whitmor ones because they carry them in white and most places don't.

I use the same grids for a stand for my cage. I like the stand more because it's easier access to the cage, and easier to clean since it's on a raised surface. Our cats can still reach their paws in if they stand on their hind legs. I don't think the cats would hurt them, as I've accidently locked Cricket in my room before my lid was finished and I came back to find her sleeping in the corner of the cage with the piggies running around her like normal. But I still don't trust either of them. If you're worried about the cat getting in, a stand isn't going to stop her. You need a lid. You can make one out of grids, or out of wire closet shelving.

Overall the grids are your cheapest method for building a cage. And a stand is more for you than anything. But it is better to have the pigs off the floor, as there are fewer drafts. You can buy a small table or use grids as a stand, but you'll have to buy twice as many grids for the stand, since it uses more than the cage itself.
    I have a lid, at first it was just made out of grids but the cat started jumping on top so I bought closet shelving. The cat actually jumped up on the cage this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks so I'm glad the closet shelves are stable.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roxie9306 View Post
    I have a lid, at first it was just made out of grids but the cat started jumping on top so I bought closet shelving. The cat actually jumped up on the cage this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks so I'm glad the closet shelves are stable.
    Indeed. Mine is half shelving, half grids, though not incredibly stable at the moment because my cage is L shaped so the shelving doesn't have a lot of support. My cats get kicked out if I catch them on the cage. They typically use my desk to get on top, as it's right next to the cage, but I'm willing to bet they could get up there regardless.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts

The grids on the stand are going to have to be superduper reinforced, for the size cage I have, a 3.5' x 4', I actually found it cheaper in the long run to get four $15 end tables and a piece of wood, but then again I wanted my cage to be table height.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saylavi View Post
    The grids on the stand are going to have to be superduper reinforced, for the size cage I have, a 3.5' x 4', I actually found it cheaper in the long run to get four $15 end tables and a piece of wood, but then again I wanted my cage to be table height.
    Yeah, I would think so too if you use a two grid high stand. I don't, as I wouldn't trust the grids enough to go up that high. I use strictly zipties to connect my grids, as the connectors that came with suck and don't hold together at all.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/459 Posts

I have used grids for a stand since making my first c&c cage. Both one grid high and two grids high. The sturdiest was when I used both the connectors and lots of zip ties. When I used just zip ties the cats could rock the cage but it never even fell over or anything. I also used grids on the very bottom of the base, even skipping everyother one made it very sturdy. Part of my problems came from when it was two grids high leaving a two grid section not used for shelves to be able to put the 50lb box of hay under.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Cube-Mod...-Cube/45653293

would these work or would they not be sturdy enough?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roxie9306 View Post
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Cube-Mod...-Cube/45653293

would these work or would they not be sturdy enough?
    I wouldnt trust those. They look like theyre made of plastic, and would probably bend and even crack under the weight of your cage. Not to mention you cant tie them together with zip ties if you choose. I would buy more grids, theyre only a few dollars more, and much better quality.

10. "Thank you, HollyLeaf, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts

Agreed, bad idea. You could use milk crates for the base?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

When I built my pigs 2x4 cage I used whitmor 14 inch grids, which work really great! I used grids for the stand as well and it's extremely sturdy, and because of my cat I got closet shelving from Home Depot for a cheap and sturdy lid. When I built the stand, all I used was a lot of zip ties and its strong enough to hold around 80 pounds. It makes for really convenient storage too.

User Tag List