Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Is my daily diet for my girl's good enough?

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
OK here is their little meal plan. EVERY veggie and fruit I give them is organic.

Morning: 1 Oxbow vitamin C tablet each, Two handfuls of spring mix lettuce, a couple of romaine lettuce leaves each.

Throughout the day, every few hours when they wants a snack: Either a baby carrot or grape tomato each.

Night: Two handfuls of spring mix and a whole green bell pepper, deseeded and cut up to share.

I refill their hay 3 times a day.

I give them a small handful of pellets in each of their bowls so it's about 1 8th cup each.

Always fresh water.

Every now and then I'll bring home something new for them to try that is on the safe piggy food list. They love sugar snap peas if I remove them from he shell and just give them the peas lol

Is this sufficient for the girls? They ALWAYS seem hungry lol

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
How many piggies are you feeding?
Say if you are feeding two in the am, it should only be one cup given for both and one cup given at pm for both. That equals to the one cup per a day of veggies. I do believe it's only a 1/8 of green pepper a day needed per pig for vitamin c. Hay should be 80% of their diet, veggies, pellets in that order. But I also sneak my piggies small bites of extras. And bedtime snack is a snow pea or sugarsnap pea or green bean.

My 6 pigs got 3 cups in the morning, was easy to measure, I used a 3 cup tub and again at night. I started buying mini peppers and give them once a day.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I would have to say if you're giving them vegetables, they don't need the C tablets. All their vitamins should be right in the vegetables.

I would cut back on the snacks. They really only need their half cup each veggies in the morning and again at night. An occasional treat is fine, but be careful of those sugary fruits, and too many tomatoes and carrots can cause sores on the mouth. And make sure the spring mix doesn't have iceberg lettuce, and careful of the spinach, as it can cause gas and bloating. Romaine is fine, but if you notice a lot of dried, white grit where they pee, I would switch to red and green leaf lettuces. As for the pepper, pepper is great for them, but I wouldn't give an entire one each day, as they are very high in vitamin c. I typically give my pigs a small piece each every other day or so. Many people give bell pepper every day, but I have a variety of vegetables I like to give so I switch up their menu every day.

I would say you're refilling the hay enough, but just be sure they ALWAYS have hay. If you notice the rack is empty, fill it. If it's half empty, fill it. If you're going to be gone for a long while, fill it.

Pellets, you're good. 1/8 cup a day each is the recommended.

Overall i I would say cut back on the veggies, depending how many pigs you have. A cup each, per day. Pigs ARE always hungry, they are wired to be constantly eating. If they stop eating for a long period of time, they can get digestive problems, and if they don't eat hay they can develop scurvy and other tooth related issues. That's why hay must always be available. Pigs like their veggies, they would eat them all day if they could. So don't let them fool you into thinking they're starving. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.