Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Would anyone else love a bigger guinea pig? (Cat-sized or so)

Rybo5000

Cavy Slave
I love guinea pigs obviously but I really wish I could cuddle them without worrying I'm going to crush them.

Capybaras are cute too but obviously they are too big, they need a lot of space.

I'd love a guinea pig that is big enough to roam the house, sit on the sofa with me and cuddle up.

I've seen these guinea-pig-like animals from South America that are perfect but unfortunately they're not domesticated.....yet...;)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I love guinea pigs obviously but I really wish I could cuddle them without worrying I'm going to crush them.

Capybaras are cute too but obviously they are too big, they need a lot of space.

I'd love a guinea pig that is big enough to roam the house, sit on the sofa with me and cuddle up.

I've seen these guinea-pig-like animals from South America that are perfect but unfortunately they're not domesticated.....yet...;)

Can you imagine the size of the droppings and trimming those nails? lol

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Being bit by a guinea pig that big sounds painful to say the least...

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
Or maybe just get a cat? Lol.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I never have issues cuddling my piggies. I don't squish them to death though lol. I usually just let them curl up against me or sit on my chest while I sit in bed. You could try a bunny? They're bigger, though perhaps not always as cuddly. At least not in my experience haha.

A cat is always fun too. Maybe get a little kitten that's super friendly. My kitty isn't always cuddly, but when she's in the mood she won't leave me alone. :)

scoottie

Cavy Slave
They need a lot of room plus they are aquatic animals as well

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Some states allow them as pets but it would be best if they had a pool.

livelifelow

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh yes! I always thought the same when I had hamsters too. If only they were big enough to walk around loose without getting into every nook and cranny, were house-broken/litter trained, and didn't chew wires!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@livelifelow I had hamsters too and that's exactly what I thought!
I feel like I would want a guinea pig/dog. Like small dog sized, looks and acts (mostly) like a guinea pig, but is more trainable and more affectionate like a dog. If I can possibly in the future I would love a capybara though. They are really cool animals.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I love cats but am really allergic so I do sometimes wish my piggies were cat sized. But they would have to be litter trainable, I don't want to imagine the poop being larger and everywhere on the floors and furniture.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
You might like rabbits, then. They're similar to guinea pigs in many ways, but they are larger and are generally more trainable. I have two rabbits that are fully litter box trained. Mine don't do this very often, but sometimes they'll hop up from the floor to the couch where I'm sitting :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I'm allergic to rabbits too. Basically I'm allergic to everything with fur except for guinea pigs.

MadScienceMum

Cavy Gazer
Have you heard of Cuy's? I just recently came across these. They're normally in rescue and are bred to be larger (I think for food... gulp). There was one that I was looking at that was 5lbs or so! As big as one of my dogs!! I don't know if they're all that big, or if she was just an anomaly. But I pictured us sitting on the couch together, watching Downton Abbey.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cuy are larger than regular guinea pigs, but they're exceedingly skittish and hard to tame. If you want a larger pet to cuddle, they're not it.

MadScienceMum

Cavy Gazer
Cuy are larger than regular guinea pigs, but they're exceedingly skittish and hard to tame. If you want a larger pet to cuddle, they're not it.

Yes, I didn't meet her but her writeup said she was very skittish. Poor girl.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
With socialization and time, cuys can warm up to cuddle time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.