Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else have NO guinea pigs in their area to adopt?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Re: Anyone else have NO guinea pigs in their area to adopt?

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    I didn't realize you had veterinary experience. Are you a vet tech? I think those of us who have access to vets nearby probably take it for granted.
    We called it vet registered nursing, but I'm pretty sure its the same thing. I stopped working in it a short while ago because the animal death was taking a toll on my mentak health, especially because with the area I was living in there was alot of really disgusting people doing disgusting things to animals.
    And I totally agree. When I first started looking for a vet for them I was totally shocked. Where I used to live there was 3 exotics vets within 15 minutes of my house, and I didn't even consider it was different elsewhere

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiaryfaerie View Post
    We called it vet registered nursing, but I'm pretty sure its the same thing. I stopped working in it a short while ago because the animal death was taking a toll on my mentak health, especially because with the area I was living in there was alot of really disgusting people doing disgusting things to animals.
    And I totally agree. When I first started looking for a vet for them I was totally shocked. Where I used to live there was 3 exotics vets within 15 minutes of my house, and I didn't even consider it was different elsewhere
    It sounds like your guinea pigs are in good hands with you. Have you checked at any universities near you to see if they have a veterinary program? Sometimes they have reduced vet services by students who are supervised by instructors. I've heard of people getting great care for their pets from university vets.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I hate being in an area without rescues. After I moved I spent 2 months stalking shelters, craigslist, and the newspaper for female pigs so that mine could have a best friend. My pig started barely eating, so I caved and went to Petco because she needed a friend now. I happened to luck out, the local shelter has an adoption area there and they had just gotten 4 pigs in that morning (grandson had hay allergy) and so I went home with an adopted best friend, which I was much happier about.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    It sounds like your guinea pigs are in good hands with you. Have you checked at any universities near you to see if they have a veterinary program? Sometimes they have reduced vet services by students who are supervised by instructors. I've heard of people getting great care for their pets from university vets.
    Thank you for saying that!

We're thinking of taking them to the vet program down at ole Miss in a week or two just to make sure all of our girls are healthy and to scope out some of the instructors opinions on local(ish) vets. Hopefully they can even point us to a shelter or rescue

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiaryfaerie View Post
    Thank you for saying that!

We're thinking of taking them to the vet program down at ole Miss in a week or two just to make sure all of our girls are healthy and to scope out some of the instructors opinions on local(ish) vets. Hopefully they can even point us to a shelter or rescue
    You're welcome, @Mortiaryfaerie. I meant to say vet services at reduced rates not reduced vet services but I think you knew what I meant. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Let us know how it goes.... :-)

User Tag List