Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Advice for new guinea mammy

Pollypooper

Cavy Gazer
Hi all,

I got my first guinea pig about 4 weeks ago. She's a rescue (someone dumped her outside pet shop and i got her for free from pet shop) she is older (at least 2 years old i think, the vet cannot tell specifically ). Anyways, the pet shop told me she had to be taken alone as they tried to pair her with numerous other pigs but she was having none of it 😃. I just want to make sure I'm doing enough for her: she has an 11square foot cage in our living room. A pigloo, 2 tubes, wooden chewing thing, empty toilet roll, old stuffed sock ,unlimited meadow hay, water, pellets and fresh veggies twice a day. She gets about 2hours lap time a day.
The reason I'm asking if it's good enough is because she's not very active running around or anything. (i brought her for a vet check up after i got her and everything was fine) and I'm worried that she's not as happy as she could be as i read piggies need company. I can't risk getting another piggy and they not to get along as my place isn't big enough to keep seperate piggies. Any advice? Am i over thinking it? Is she less active as she's older? Also, i should mention, i live in Ireland and it's wet and cold at the moment so she doesn't get outside time but will when weather improves. Thanks for reading I know this is a long post!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is there a rescue around that would let you see if she could be paired with another pig? I'd never take a pet shop employee's word that a pig couldn't get along with others, because the introductions can make or break the relationship. if they just plopped her in with other pigs, then no wonder they think she's hard to live with. She does need a buddy if you can arrange for one -- they're herd animals, and they definitely do better with a friend.

The cage is plenty large enough. She may not be running around because she's still shy, or because she's alone.

She doesn't really need outside time. Pigs are safer inside where there are no biting/stinging insects. They also tend to hide the symptoms of illness, and can get quite ill quite suddenly. If she's inside with you, you're much more likely to notice if something is "off" about her, and that's often the first sign that they're getting sick.

Thanks for taking her in, and welcome to the forum. We'd love to see pictures.

Pollypooper

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply ��. We have no specific rescues for guinea pigs, but the odd time some of the spca or dog rescues might come across them, I'll ask them to keep me informed. The pet shop I got her from are quite good with animals, they really did seem to love her �� but i know what you mean, I'm not happy accepting she wants to be a lone piggy.
I'm moving to a bigger place in a few months so was definitely going to get another one then and if need be keep them in separate cages beside each other (with a play mate for the second one if they want one! ). I just want to make sure I'm doing enough at the moment, and if she does decide she doesn't want a play mate in her cage?
Ha she's def not shy anymore. She's so nosy and knows when feeding time is so she wheeks away! I saw her popcorn once, but only once so far!
Oh I'd never leave her outside alone, I meant when I'm outside so she has a change of scenery and fresh air!
Thanks for your reply ��

Pollypooper

Cavy Gazer
IMG_20160205_152620.jpg

This is a pic of beautiful polly

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's adorable!

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
She is so sweet! I'd wait a bit and try to find a friend for her, but if it doesn't work out that's fine. Make sure to hold her, give her floor time, let her be your buddy so she has her social time

ahotchicken

Cavy Slave
She is adorable! She looks so sweet

Pollypooper

Cavy Gazer
She is so sweet! I'd wait a bit and try to find a friend for her, but if it doesn't work out that's fine. Make sure to hold her, give her floor time, let her be your buddy so she has her social time

Thanks. Yes, she's already my little buddy 😃 she rules the roost ha ha she's so cute

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.