Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Should I consider euthanasia?

kaboodle

Cavy Slave
Last night whilst my piggy was out on the floor he released some pink urine. I took him to the vets today where on the journey there he sneezed a few times. She felt his bladder and discovered possible stones and consequently he released a bit more blood and a pained squeak. She suggested either having him x-rayed or considering the option of euthanasia.
For now, she has injected him with some pain relief and anti-inflamitary. The appointment is booked for an x-ray tomorrow but I am warned that he may not survive the procedure given that he very old and quite under the weather.
Right now, he is not leaving his house or his brother's side but he is still eating.
This of course is a very difficult decision for me and I'm wondering if I should consider putting him to sleep?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old? And how under the weather?

Even elderly guinea pigs can survive stone removal if they're in otherwise good health. It's neither the easiest nor the hardest surgery a guinea pig can undergo, and in the hands of a good surgeon and with good postop care, most pigs do just fine.

If, however, he really is too old, and/or his general health is too bad, it might be kinder to euthanize him. Stones can be painful, and one that moves into the urethra and blocks the flow of urine is very painful and is a full-blown medical emergency. So you'll need to make some kind of decision quickly. I'm sorry you're in that position. Let us know what you decide, and what happens after the x-ray.

kaboodle

Cavy Slave
I've had him in my care for five years and the previous owners say they had him 3 or 4 years so really quite old. He seems to be rather sluggish although that could just be the painkiller as yesterday he was wandering about in the same way he always does when out on the floor, but he's not really been leaving his house for a while. I am actually unsure as to how poorly he really is I'm just clinging to how he still manages to eat.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Surgery is an option for bladder stones if he is healthy enough. It can be quite pricey though.

He really needs an X-ray to determine if it's stones you're dealing with. There is no reason for him not to survive an X-ray. He doesn't need any anesthetic for it.

Is this an exotic vet?

He really does need an X-ray to determine if there are stones present. If there are he needs surgery right away. With males, stones can slip into the urethra and block the flow of urine which is extremely painful and lethal.

He may just have a UTI, in which case, a course of antibiotics and pain medication should heal him up.

If it is stones and surgery isn't an option, then euthanasia would be the kindest option.

Have an X-ray done with a competent vet before you make any decisions.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That is really old. You've obviously taken good care of him.

I don't think I'd put a pig of that age through surgery. If he were mine, I think I'd give him all his favorite foods today, and say goodbye tomorrow.

I'm sorry. It's an awful decision to have to make, but many times it's the kindest one.

kaboodle

Cavy Slave
He just made a pained sound that made me think that it's for the best.
Thank you very much for speaking to me.
He is a very old pig and has done me proud

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
So sorry to read about his illness... but he is a lucky pig to have someone like you who cares enough to make an informed decision.

kaboodle

Cavy Slave
Hello as I small update, I made the difficult decision of letting Layton go and took him to the vet this morning. I believe he was too old and poorly for surgery and that this was the best decision for my pig. His brother and I are very upset but in time I hope we will be ok

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Hello as I small update, I made the difficult decision of letting Layton go and took him to the vet this morning. I believe he was too old and poorly for surgery and that this was the best decision for my pig. His brother and I are very upset but in time I hope we will be ok

I feel for you :( I just had to do the same thing to my guinea pig thumper today. Bad health and inflammed bladder. Best of luck Kaboodle, ill be thinking of you as im thinking of mine. Sucky day...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry about Thumper.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm so sorry. Sounds like it was the best decision to make.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.