Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Mixed food and pellets

Yen Tran

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,
I'm having 2 guinea pigs. Now I give them mixed food every afternoon. I bought mixed food bag in he pet store, which contains alfalfa pellets (with a small amount) and dried fruits. Is it okay? Or I should change into pellets? :sad:
Btw, I'm having one 6-month-old guinea pig and one 1-month-old guinea pig. If I feed them with pellets, which type of pellet I should choose?
Thank you for your help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should feed plain hay pellets, no added fruits, nuts, seeds, colored bits, whatever.

You can feed them both timothy pellets. Just take the younger out and give him a sprig or two of parsley every day to satisfy his calcium needs. You can stop that when he's six months old.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The pellets you feed should be plain pellets. See this page for more info on how to choose good quality pellets.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

Are you feeding any hay? Hay is the most important part of the diet. 85% of their diet should be hay.

Yen Tran

Cavy Slave
You should feed plain hay pellets, no added fruits, nuts, seeds, colored bits, whatever.

You can feed them both timothy pellets. Just take the younger out and give him a sprig or two of parsley every day to satisfy his calcium needs. You can stop that when he's six months old.

In the pet store, there are some guinea pig foods like this https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/food/guinea_pig/prestige/162756. Should I feed them with it? Or not?

The pellets you feed should be plain pellets. See this page for more info on how to choose good quality pellets.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

Are you feeding any hay? Hay is the most important part of the diet. 85% of their diet should be hay.

I am feeding them with Oxbow Botanical Hay and Oxbow Alfalfa Hay. I have just bought Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Adult Guinea pig food. Is it okay for my piggies?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oxbow and KMS Hayloft pellets are the best on the market. I wouldn't feed anything else unless I couldn't get one of those. The Versala Laga pellets you linked to are too high in calcium.

Yen Tran

Cavy Slave
Oxbow and KMS Hayloft pellets are the best on the market. I wouldn't feed anything else unless I couldn't get one of those. The Versala Laga pellets you linked to are too high in calcium.

It's not pellet. It's a mixture of dried vegetables, herbs, fruits.
Btw, I'm having a 1-month-old piggy, so I think she needs a high amount of calcium.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Don't feed that. For pellets, feed plain pellets. Just plain pellets. Nothing else. No nuts or seeds (fatty and pose a choking risk), no dried veggies or fruits (high in sugar) or colored bits (full of dye and bad stuff).

As others stated above, take the younger one out of the cage and feed him/her some calcium rich veggies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your young pig needs enough calcium, but not too much. If you feed her plain alfalfa pellets, or timothy pellets with a sprig or two of parsley every day, she'll get plenty. Any more, and you may be disposing her to painful (for her) and expensive (for you) urinary tract stones.

Yen Tran

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, I got a problem with my piggies' diet. I fed them with mixed dried food. I have just bought Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Adult Guinea pig Food for them. But when I feed them with Oxbow pellets, they don't like it and don't eat too much. I'm so worry. What should I do now?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't do anything except keep feeding them the Oxbow pellets. And take the young out once a day for a couple of sprigs of parsley.

Pellets are the least important part of a pig's diet.

Yen Tran

Cavy Slave
Don't do anything except keep feeding them the Oxbow pellets. And take the young out once a day for a couple of sprigs of parsley.

Pellets are the least important part of a pig's diet.

I just give them 3 spoons of pellets at the first day, but they did not eat a lot :( will they be OK? Should I change the food step by step?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They will be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.