Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is my cage big enough?

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
It's 20" x 39". It's temporary until i get a bigger one.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
That is technically too small but if its only temporary then it should be okay. What size are you upgrading to? A 2x3 grid c and c is the min, based on 1-2 pigs, the 2 being females. How many pigs do you have? Male or female?

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
That is technically too small but if its only temporary then it should be okay. What size are you upgrading to? A 2x3 grid c and c is the min, based on 1-2 pigs, the 2 being females. How many pigs do you have? Male or female?
I don't have enough floor space, so i am getting two levels what sizes should they be. I also have 2 males.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The main level of a cage is the only one that counts in dimension of the cage. Guinea pigs need the level space to be able to run. Built out, not up for guinea pig cages. If you don't have the floor space, perhaps get a stand for the cage or build an L-shaped cage and set it in the corner of the room. Either that or find a room that will accommodate an appropriately sized cage.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
The main level of a cage is the only one that counts in dimension of the cage. Guinea pigs need the level space to be able to run. Built out, not up for guinea pig cages. If you don't have the floor space, perhaps get a stand for the cage or build an L-shaped cage and set it in the corner of the room. Either that or find a room that will accommodate an appropriately sized cage.
Yes, this exactly. And you are especially going to need to go bigger because you have two males. If you keep them in a tiny pet store cage, even with two levels, they WILL fight. Boars need at the BARE MINIMUM a 2x4 cage. And that's only if they get along super well. Most don't. Many people keep them comfortably in a 2x5, but bigger is always better if you can. I highly recommend a 2x5, and then you can add levels if you desire. L shape cages are often seen here, as they are more compact and fit against the corners of rooms well. I'm upgrading to a 2x6 L C&C, and my room is absolutely tiny. I had to take my fish tank down to make room! You might have to make some rearrangements, or even do what I did, go through the room and get rid of anything you don't need, and little pieces of furniture that can free up space. Whatever you can do to make sure your little guys have plenty of space to live comfortably. :)

CaylorCavies

Cavy Slave
I had two boars in a 24"x48" cage while they were babies. When they hit adolescence, that was definitely not enough room to keep them happy with each other (which I expected and knew I would expand)! It took 16 sq. ft. of cage space for my boys to be able to coexist happily. Unfortunately, boars need more room.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Yes, this exactly. And you are especially going to need to go bigger because you have two males. If you keep them in a tiny pet store cage, even with two levels, they WILL fight. Boars need at the BARE MINIMUM a 2x4 cage. And that's only if they get along super well. Most don't. Many people keep them comfortably in a 2x5, but bigger is always better if you can. I highly recommend a 2x5, and then you can add levels if you desire. L shape cages are often seen here, as they are more compact and fit against the corners of rooms well. I'm upgrading to a 2x6 L C&C, and my room is absolutely tiny. I had to take my fish tank down to make room! You might have to make some rearrangements, or even do what I did, go through the room and get rid of anything you don't need, and little pieces of furniture that can free up space. Whatever you can do to make sure your little guys have plenty of space to live comfortably. :)
We're going to get a c&c 2x5, they DO get along well but not perfectly.
We only want to provide best for our boars, anyways! lol

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
We're going to get a c&c 2x5, they DO get along well but not perfectly.
We only want to provide best for our boars, anyways! lol

Yay! They will love you so much, you will really see an improvement in behavior. Just keep an eye on them as they get older, if they keep fighting you might have to go bigger yet. But if they haven't been fighting too bad yet I would think they will be okay. Good luck! :)

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Thanks, i have another question though.
Is a 2x4 2-story w/ a loft decent for them?
We're starting off with a 1 story 2x4 with a loft, but we're going to get a 2-storey soon too.
They're already so happy, and they never bit, just teeth-chattered.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 would be pushing it. Remember, upper levels don't count. But I wonder if this is a different case since it is 2 2x4s. Can anyone help me out here? But depending how bonded your boars are, it may or may not work.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do away with the loft and just make the cage itself larger. The more room on one level, the better.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
A 2x4 would be pushing it. Remember, upper levels don't count. But I wonder if this is a different case since it is 2 2x4s. Can anyone help me out here? But depending how bonded your boars are, it may or may not work.

They are littermates if that helps.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't. It doesn't mean a thing once puberty hits.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
I'd do away with the loft and just make the cage itself larger. The more room on one level, the better.

I need a loft to keep our boars in there while my cat is.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your cat? What does it have to do with it?

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Your cat? What does it have to do with it?

hi this is the mother here. I am certain a 2x4 is enough space for the boys. They r very well bonded n don't fight. Very placid n loving. I only have a very small house n have made as much room as i can for them. We have a cat n i cannot risk her bei g around the boys with open pen. I'm doing my best take all advice given n will make any expenses necessary for the boys. But i cannot build an extension on my house n must make do. I will see how the boys go n if need be will extend the pen. I appreciate all yr help n any further advice. Ta

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi, Fantaziez' mom. Welcome to the forum.

I hope you're right that a 2x4 is big enough for two boars, but the experience of a LOT of guinea pig owners says that bigger than that is better.

Your cat may or may not be a problem. Guinea pigs are large enough that most cats don't see them as prey. GP babies, on the other hand, are a different story. They're small, and run around like mice, and definitely trigger a cat's prey drive. But a couple of pieces of closet shelving on top of the cage makes a great lid, and is totally cat proof.

But what I was asking about was what [MENTION=36964]Fantaziez[/MENTION] meant by "I need a loft to keep our boars in there while my cat is." Something got left off there. And you definitely don't want to keep two adolescent boars penned up in a small loft for very long AT ALL, or they'll wind up in a big fight.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Hi, Fantaziez' mom. Welcome to the forum.

I hope you're right that a 2x4 is big enough for two boars, but the experience of a LOT of guinea pig owners says that bigger than that is better.

Your cat may or may not be a problem. Guinea pigs are large enough that most cats don't see them as prey. GP babies, on the other hand, are a different story. They're small, and run around like mice, and definitely trigger a cat's prey drive. But a couple of pieces of closet shelving on top of the cage makes a great lid, and is totally cat proof.

But what I was asking about was what @Fantaziez meant by "I need a loft to keep our boars in there while my cat is." Something got left off there. And you definitely don't want to keep two adolescent boars penned up in a small loft for very long AT ALL, or they'll wind up in a big fight.
Thank you for your reply!
We're currently searching for a 2x5 base, are you in agreement that a 2x5 is a acceptable size as my daughter says that is the size she wants.
Or would you feel a 3x5 would be better?
In saying this, do you know where we can purchase a base for the c&C either a 3x5 or a 2x5.
Whichever size you recommend for the boys.
(Preferably a supplier in Australia)
That'd be a BIG help!
We will do some research for a lid for the pen for when the cat is inside at the same time, thank you i didn't realize that cats don't see them as prey.
Because, when the cat sees them in the current cage, she's not bothered by them.
I just want to avoid the possibility of her hurting them!
We WILL ditch the loft.
Thank you, look forward to your reply.

(Fantaziez/me typed this out for her.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bigger is always better, and giving boars plenty of room to stay out of each other's face is also good. A 3x5 would be fantastic, but a 3x4 would be better than a 2x5.

My cage is made out of closet shelving. The disadvantage is that it's not as easy to remodel as grids are, but it's definitely sturdier. You could use closet shelving for the base and lid, and the walls out of grids. You put the shelves together with fairly heavy duty zip-ties, and they old just fine. Closet Maid sells stuff all over the world, but there may be a brand local to Australia. Just look in the closet organizing section of your local home improvement store.

You also might want to take a look at the Photo Galleries here (tab at the top of the page). The alternative cages section will have ideas for all sorts of cages.

If your cat doesn't pay any attention to the pigs now, it may not later. Our cat was very interested when he was a kitten, but he wanted to play, not eat! Now, at about two, he just gets in the cage and lies down. But he doesn't even do that much. I'd recommend caution at first, but you'll soon have an idea of whether he's looking for dinner or a playmate.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Bigger is always better, and giving boars plenty of room to stay out of each other's face is also good. A 3x5 would be fantastic, but a 3x4 would be better than a 2x5.

My cage is made out of closet shelving. The disadvantage is that it's not as easy to remodel as grids are, but it's definitely sturdier. You could use closet shelving for the base and lid, and the walls out of grids. You put the shelves together with fairly heavy duty zip-ties, and they old just fine. Closet Maid sells stuff all over the world, but there may be a brand local to Australia. Just look in the closet organizing section of your local home improvement store.

You also might want to take a look at the Photo Galleries here (tab at the top of the page). The alternative cages section will have ideas for all sorts of cages.

If your cat doesn't pay any attention to the pigs now, it may not later. Our cat was very interested when he was a kitten, but he wanted to play, not eat! Now, at about two, he just gets in the cage and lies down. But he doesn't even do that much. I'd recommend caution at first, but you'll soon have an idea of whether he's looking for dinner or a playmate.
Thank you after much dilemma,
I believe my daughter and i have agreed on a 3x4, we're currently looking for a base, which we have contacted guineapigcagesstore.
And hopefully we can purchase a premade one if not we can make our own, hopefully you agree that this size is acceptable for the boars.

Thank you.

(Written by me/the daughter/Fantaziez)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.