Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Guinea Pig Help

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Okay people. I could really really use some advice. I'm thinking Hash Brown may be in the early stages of labor. She came out this morning and got her pellets and vitamin c tab. She then went and laid by her water bottle got a couple drinks and turned. She started making this motion and it sounds like a good amount of short purring sounds. The left side of her belly is moving like CRAZY. She seems to be breathing heavily. I'm freaking out because I know people normally say they sit but she's laying down. Can anyone help explain this?!

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've had a few pregnant piggies come into my care, and I've seen a few guinea pig births (they all tend to be slightly different) and my best guess after looking at the video is that she is having minor contractions. When they start increasing in intensity and she starts active labour I imagine she'll be sitting up then. At the moment she's uncomfortable, but it's not all systems go just yet. I hope she has a safe birth and both she and the pups are happy and healthy afterwards!

Shawna Driggers

Cavy Slave
oh wow!! Good luck with Labor!!!!!

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
I had to leave for work. She was up and eating pellets and hay when I left. I'll be going home on my lunch to check on her. Maybe it was a false alarm.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
So I'm sitting at work and I can't shut up about my Guinea pigs and I had someone send me an email stating that I need to make sure I remove the male from the cage because he will eat the babies. *heavy sigh* some people...

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
You'll need to remove the male so he doesn't impregnate the female immediately after giving birth. Please don't wait to do this.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
@poop_patrol this was done the moment I realized that my two boys weren't both boys and I figured out she was pregnant. He has his own 2x3 c&c and she's in a 2x4

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
Sorry...I didn't read through the thread and only read the last message. Good luck with the pups!

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
image.jpg
Well I went home on my lunch. Momma is still very pregnant. She was drinking water and was eager to get some cilantro and green leaf lettuce from me. Sorry if I'm driving people bonkers with these posts. I have nowhere else to really share my excitement and nerves and anxeity

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm excited and don't mind your posts. I love baby piggies and live vicariously through others who have expectant piggies.

Shawna Driggers

Cavy Slave
Aww hopefully within the next few days you will have babies! We are still on baby watch too!

saresare93

Cavy Slave
Be careful because if you keep thinking she's in labour but she's not giving birth then she may be having a difficult time and need a vet? I don't know anything about guinea pig labour, so hopefully it's just a lot of false alarms and there's nothing wrong.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's pretty typical in my experience that pregnant piggies behave in such a way that makes you think, "Any minute now!" consistently, and once you give up and think it's never going to happen and that they've just eaten tennis balls somehow, that's when they give birth, when you're not looking. She looks well (if uncomfortably large).

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
@saresare I thought the same thing. She's up and moving. Eating,drinking,peeing and pooping all like normal. Luckily I have weekends off so I will be home with her now and we have a cavy wavy vet on stand by if needed. The only thing that really concerns me is I know Guinea pigs hide their illness. So I hope that I'm right in thinking everything is peachy.

saresare93

Cavy Slave
@saresare I thought the same thing. She's up and moving. Eating,drinking,peeing and pooping all like normal. Luckily I have weekends off so I will be home with her now and we have a cavy wavy vet on stand by if needed. The only thing that really concerns me is I know Guinea pigs hide their illness. So I hope that I'm right in thinking everything is peachy.

They're better than birds, that's for sure! Here's a link for complications in labour (https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html), of which she doesn't seem to be having any, so that's good. Plus Stray Hares has experience with labours and thinks it's all fine so that's very reassuring. I just got criticised for giving bad advice in what I said earlier so please ignore me and listen to the experts. Good luck with it. ^_^

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Good luck I can't wait to see them!!

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Well figured I would do another update. Still no babies. I sat in the office where they are and just read through this whole forum. Haha I live in Arizona and it's just about 10PM here. I'm just going to bed I'm hoping it's like the whole "a watched pot won't boil". I'm just so nervous for her.

ahotchicken

Cavy Slave
Oh good luck! Can't wait to see the babies! :) Love the updates and all the posts btw

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Well still no babies. I'm just gunna leave her be again. Yesterday must have been a false alarm. I tried to feel her pelvic bone this morning but even all the photos and posts about pelvic separation I can't figure it out. I thought I felt it this morning with the tiniest separation but she's less then cooperative (understandably). So I'll just leave her be. She will have them when she has them.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Husband is really warming up to the pigs! We will be keeping both parents and a baby of each gender! Hopefully there is one of each gender. Now I need to figure out to have two c&c cages and it not look like a mess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.