Thread: New(ish) Cavy mama (and grandma O_o !)

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New(ish) Cavy mama (and grandma O_o !)

Aloha!

Newish piggie mama here! And as of last night... a piggie grandma too!

We got our sweet girls back in early December and have been doing wonderfully with them. Already love them to bits! Did tons of research and have been busy building a lovely cage and making fleece liners and kitchen areas and all that. Making them pretty much everything has become my new hobby

I noticed a few weeks ago that Daisy, our shorthair, was becoming quite chubby... She is fairly young, maybe only 4 months, and I thought maybe she was just trying to keep up eating wise with Gypsy, our Abyssinian, who is closer to 7 months and a bit bigger...

I did have that "man she's getting so wide" thought and tried gently feeling around on her tummy a bit, leaving my hand under her when I held her just to see if I could feel any movement, but nothing...

Then I go to say goodnight to them last night and she was up in her pigloo with 3 precious piggies under her!!

I'll be posting another thread soon with a few questions I have and some pictures of course! I wanted to let them be for a day or two and then I'm going to give their cage a good cleaning and get some sweet pics on fresh fleece.

Happy to be here and excited to get to know you all!

Here's Daisy

and Gypsy

Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Re: New(ish) Cavy mama (and grandma O_o !)

How certain are you that Gypsy is a female?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

100%!

Plus, we got Daisy first (Dec 2) and have only had Gypsy for just over a month (Dec 18).

So since their gestation is 57+ days... she had to have been pregnant when we got her.
    Last edited by omgbecky; 01-21-16 at 03:36 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

They are definitely cute! Post some baby pictures!

5. "Thank you, poop_patrol, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poop_patrol View Post
    They are definitely cute! Post some baby pictures!
    I was kind of worried about picking them up so soon! I know that they come out "ready to go" but still... ! It took me a week to let my own mother hold one of my human babies! haha! just a little over protective.

anyway. onto the babies! this is just what I have so far...

(you can bet there will be more coming too! photographer by trade so I'll be taking a million!!)

The tri-color (is that what it's called for cavies? I know it's that for dogs... anyway, she's cuddly already. just curls right up for love. The one in the middle of the bottom picture is almost her mama's twin (also looks like a girl from what I can tell). And then maybe you all can help me but the color of the third is lilac yeah? and "it" is the one I'm not so sure of the sex yet. looks like a girl but also seems to have a little nub or the "i" shape at certain angles... which is why I will double and triple check!!

just so neat how they all came out so different!

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

So cute. Congrats on your unexpected herd of piggies. Are you going to keep them or adopt them out?

Thanks
    Thanks
    696 Rec'd/601 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

They are such little beauties just like their mom! I can just imagine how surprised you must have been to discover them. I'm so happy that Daisy had a safe delivery and that the babies are doing great.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HollyLeaf View Post
    So cute. Congrats on your unexpected herd of piggies. Are you going to keep them or adopt them out?
    Thank you!! Still totally in shock I think! But they really are so adorable.

I'm not sure about keeping them all or not. I'm leaning toward keeping one and trying to adopt the other two out as a pair of possible. But then I have moments where I think "5 won't be so bad". ! Worst case, I'm willing to keep them as long as needed to find a good home if we decide to let them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    They are such little beauties just like their mom! I can just imagine how surprised you must have been to discover them. I'm so happy that Daisy had a safe delivery and that the babies are doing great.
    Thank you!! They're so precious.

And yes!!! Very, very surprised! I just can't believe that anyone was careless enough to have them mixed in like that, but c'est la vie. Now we have beautiful babies and they'll be taken good care of one way or another!

And a big big YES to the fact that Daisy had a safe delivery!! I couldn't believe my eyes not only when I saw the first little baby but also that she was already "back to normal"!!

I've read so many horror stories about them needing assistance, cesarians, getting toxemia, etc, etc... but she really is just right back to her regular self. It was like, I took the girls their veggies, came back an hour later and there were babies! already clean and everything. and I just happened to have some alfalfa on hand because I had bought the wrong bag! Of course I'll keep a keen eye on all of them for the next few days, but everything seems to be going well right now!

10. "Thank you, omgbecky, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List