Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Wanna know why we don't support pet stores?

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Thats truly revolting. This thread should become a sticky.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
This absolutely horrendous. It's upsetting to know that most of our pets actually started there or are a product of that. Even thought we have adopted them or taken in surrenders, that's probably where they came from [emoji17]

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
That's so sad, and really really graphic. Warning for young viewers.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Ive already decided against buying animals from petsmart, but this just further enforces my decision. How truly disgusting and sad.. but i am happy to say that when i went to my local petsmart last week, one of the pig cages had a little note on it with information about an adoptable piggie they were soon bringing in! It made me so happy to see that they were giving up an entire cage for a pig truly in need of a home. I hope he gets adopted. :)
Not to mention the other usually full cage was empty and had been both times i was there last week. A step in the right direction perhaps?

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I'm really glad that this forum convinced me to adopt my two girls.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
This is so terribly sad. How could people treat animals like this? Like they are TOYS. Freezing LIVE mice? What kind of cruelty is that? Animals aren't objects. They are creatures that deserve to live a happy life. They are animals, living things, they have feelings of pain, or stress... and they should be treated respectively. I have realized how lucky I am to have had a healthy piggy from a pet store. And now I think of all the troubles he may have gone through. Whoever runs these Holmes farms and works there is a cruel, careless human being who doesn't uderstand nature like he should. :(

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Sadly, that video is making no impact on the Petsmart in my area. I was at Target and popped into the Petsmart next door, and one of the guinea pigs in a tank of four or five had eyes full of goo. It was totally unmistakable; both eyes were running and had that gluey goop. I told one of the workers and she said she'd have someone look into it, but who knows. It made me so sad because I know he won't get any veterinary care. He'll get plopped in a plastic bin in the back to either die here or get sent back to the supplier to die there. Considering his condition, the other piggies in the tank are likely all infected, too. Some unknowing buyers will take them home while they still look healthy and end up heartbroken, as just it happened with my Mufasa before I knew better. Disgusting. I thought it was especially ballsy to have a pig like that in the store not long after that video came out, when people would presumably be paying more attention. Just goes to show how little they care.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Ive already decided against buying animals from petsmart, but this just further enforces my decision. How truly disgusting and sad.. but i am happy to say that when i went to my local petsmart last week, one of the pig cages had a little note on it with information about an adoptable piggie they were soon bringing in! It made me so happy to see that they were giving up an entire cage for a pig truly in need of a home. I hope he gets adopted. :)
Not to mention the other usually full cage was empty and had been both times i was there last week. A step in the right direction perhaps?
I'm glad that your Petsmart is doing this. Petco here does it, but the Petsmarts all say they can't (and never give a good reason why). Just make sure it's actually an adoption and not a money maker for the store. In a true adoption, no money should actually go to Petsmart. The way the Petco where I adopted Quinn does it is that you give a donation directly to the Petco charity fund. They also give you all the supplies the animal was dropped off with, although in my case, I said a big "No!" to the ten gallon aquarium that was her "cage." If any money goes into the store's pockets, I don't see that as adoption and absolutely don't support it.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
I wont support pet stores iether
If i want to buy something for chock i do it online... That way i don't need to go in to a pet store...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.