Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting Female pigs recently introduced - lots of rumblestrutting

Crystal Randall

Cavy Gazer
We recently rescued a female pig from our local MSPCA and after what we felt was a pretty successful week long introduction, we purchased a much larger cage and are housing our previously owned female (Maggie) and our new rescued piggie (Cecelia).

Cecelia had given birth to babies while in foster care but was given time to be with them until they were old enough to thrive on their own. We adopted her just a few weeks after their separation. Both her and Maggie are a year old and roughly the same sized. (I found after this that we probably should have gotten a younger, smaller pig for Maggie.) Maggie was adopted with her sister but unfortunately her sister passed away a few months ago and she has been alone since. She is in a very high traffic area so she always received attention from the family but we felt she needed a new cage mate.

So that leads me to my issue... Their introductions went great! They were introduced in a neutral area and spent hours having floor time together! There was a little chasing, Cecelia did some teeth chattering but Maggie, being the ever passive piggie, ignored her and went about her business. There was a few times of rumblestrutting each time they were together but I assumed that Cecelia was just trying to re-establish dominance. Now that they are in their new cage (an extra large rabbit cage) Cecelia rumblestruts a lot! Maggie can be sleeping and Cecelia on the other side of the cage and she starts rumblestrutting. Will she settle down? Why would she continuously do it? We have not held them separately today hoping that it will help them bond. They tend to sleep in separate corners, I have two tubes, two food bowls, two water bottles, but currently only one large house.

I would appreciate any feedback! I just worry that she will stress Maggie out since Maggie is such a laid back, quiet pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just be patient. They will rumble and chase and nip and mount, and they'll never work it out if you don't let them be.

Crystal Randall

Cavy Gazer
That is what I am hoping and why we haven't had lap time today. I need them to settle this for my own sanity. Haha Thank you for your response!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.