Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Guinea Pig Therapy

So I took my guinea pig to the vet and he told me besides the antibiotics to give him a therapy with saline solution in a homemade capsule. I have an idea of how to do it but I was wondering if any of you have had this situation in the past and would give me any recommendations or show me yours.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    869 Rec'd/749 Posts

Re: Guinea Pig Therapy

That's odd, I don't think a lot of salt is good for Guinea pigs. I suggest searching for it on guinealynx.com (and seeing what bapatters says).

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,517 Rec'd/6,006 Posts

Please do NOT give your pig anything in a saline solution. Excess salt can contribute to the possibility of urinary tract stones, and you want to avoid those at all costs.

What kind of symptoms did your pig have that caused you to go to the vet?

Which antibiotic did the vet prescribe? How much of it are you giving, and what is the strength of it?

What is in the capsule that you are supposed to give?

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I think I'm being misunderstood. I'm not supposed to give hima capsule I'm supposed to put him inside a plastic capsule and give him a therapy of saline solution like us humans when we are sick. He does not have a urinary track infection, he has an upper respiratory infection. The vet medicated ciprofloxacin and the dose is 0.1.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,517 Rec'd/6,006 Posts

Oh. Are you talking about a nebulization chamber? Where the machine turns the liquid into a fine mist and the pig inhales it?

Yes, saline is used for that, but it also an excellent way to give stronger antibiotics than pigs can tolerate in an oral dose. The medication is mixed with the saline and inhaled, so it gets down into the lungs where it's needed. Gentamycin, which is a strong antibiotic, can be used this way, but can't be given orally to pigs.

Are you asking how to do that? If so, what you need is:

1) a plastic box, like a storage container that might hold file folders. One that is about 12 inches square is an ideal size.
    2) a nebulizer, which you can rent from a pharmacy or buy for about $50 or so.
    3) some tubing to run from the nebulizer to the box, which probably comes with the nebulizer.
    4) the medicine to go in the nebulizer.

You'll have make the container airtight after you run the tubing into it. A little duct tape along the open seams will do it.

Put the pig and some food in the container, put the medicine in, and turn it on. It usually only takes a few minutes for the medicine to be nebulized.

User Tag List