Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Help with boar cleaning!

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to ask, are there any other things like water that you can use in a boar cleaning instade of baby and mineral oil?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I could be totally wrong, but thought I read one time that coconut oil was ok. Please verify that because I'm no expert! In fact it's about time to do boar cleaning here and I'm not sure I have anything on hand to use.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Yeah i read that too, only that we don't have coconut oil where i live. Thank you anyways:)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Where do you live (country or state), you might be surprised.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
I live in israel:)

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Pardon my random comment, but I want to visit Israel so badly! One day [emoji4]
it's okay, you really should come! its beautiful in here and i promise you will have a nice time here!

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Thank you from me and from Derek and Mark, my little piggies:D

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
How frequently do you do the boar cleaning? Do you do so even if no signs of problems just to be sure? I've only done mine once and it's been probably a year since then so I really should do again, right?

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
I have actually never done this, i only have my piggies for about a month but its importent for me to keep them clean:) and i saw online that you need to do it about once a month, depending on how dirty it is:) it just makes them more comfortable and without cleaning it, the piggies could have infection.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Coconut oil is certainly available in Israel, though I am having a more difficult time tracking it down (probably due to not understanding the language at all). From what little I can find online using only english I have found several international places that will ship to israel. I also found a forum thread with someone asking about coconut oil and other health food products where some people list places in Israel you can get them (though it seems coconut oil is somewhat expensive there?). Just keep in mind the coconut oil you want is cold pressed as other processing methods remove the aspects that are beneficial to the skin and hair.

Here is the forum thread I found: https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125642

And two of the international sellers who will ship to Israel (note the second link does have other brands of coconut oil available I just liked to one of the cheaper ones that is cold-pressed coconut oil):
https://il.evitamins.com/efagold-coconut-oil-natures-way-8675
https://il.iherb.com/Nutiva-Organic-Superfood-Coconut-Oil-Virgin-14-fl-oz-414-ml/47359

ETA: As for boar cleaning, you should be checking weekly but only doing it as necessary. If you check their sacs and there isn't any hair, hay or bedding stuck up there it is fine to leave it alone. You should expect to find a some creamy gunk in there as that is the natural lubricant of the sack, you should avoid removing all of this when you clean. If you clean them out too often you risk stretching the sac which can lead to impaction issues later.

Last edited:

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I need to read up on this again. I remember that I didn't need to do so until they were a little older. When I first heard about it and researched it, I was advised not to do it because mine were so young then but now my Brownie is much older now (my Spaz passed away very young and unexpectedly, so devastating) so I need to see how often to be doing this.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much:) you really helped me:)

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Im so sorry to hear that:( and from what ive seen, what soecara told me to do is the best thing to do.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should check a male's private parts at least once a week, but only clean if necessary. They don't need regular cleaning unless they've gotten debris inside the sheath of the penis or in the anal sac, or are impacted.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the great input!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.