Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggy owner and loving it! Advice welcome :) Questions soon to come!!!

• Thread starter skinnypiggylove
  • Start date

skinnypiggylove

Cavy Slave
yesterday i bought a 5 month old skinny guinea, his name is Monster. Hes my first one and I'm a constant worrier so im sure ill have lots of questions very soon. Any advice u have to offer is much appreciated 156265_485942028265262_8954396798133547261_n.jpg

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Welcome! He is adorable. Does Monster have a same sex / neutered cagemate? They are herd animals and really need the company.

skinnypiggylove

Cavy Slave
No, he was more expensive then I expected but when I get my pay check I plan on geyting a bigger cage and another one. Could I house him with a guinea pig with fur or just another skinny pig?

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! :eek: He's so cute! You can house him with a furred pig just fine. Have a look at local guinea pig rescues or other shelters you should be able to find a pig up for adoption near you and you might even be able to set up play dates to see if they will get along. He will definitely need a same sex or neutered cage mate. Please don't buy one from a pet store if you can avoid it.

As for the cage, adequate space is essential for their health and happiness. You can scavenge for your own materials to build a C & C style cage for often the same cost or less as a store bought cage (which are generally too small for pigs), alternatively you can buy one directly from the store at the top of the page if you don't feel up to hunting materials down. For cage size recommendations check out the main tab at the top of the page and remember that two male pigs usually need a bit more space so add an extra grid to the recommended size to ensure they get along. You can also build alternative cages using different materials, whichever option you find most convenient.

When you do get another pig make sure to introduce them properly or you can have a fight on your hands which can be more damaging to a skinny pig as they have no fur to protect themselves from scratches or bites. For tips on introductions read this website: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html (this blog also has some other good articles)

For general care information read these guides fully:

https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

Handy printable veggie chart (make sure to scroll down to the second post beneath it for the full details):

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

Finally, if you are tight on money I would suggest starting a saving fund for your pigs as soon as possible. Guinea pigs require a specially trained exotic vet if things go wrong (normal cat & dog/small animal vets do not have the appropriate training) and exotic vets tend to be more expensive. I would suggest saving up to have around $1000 preferable over $1500 for medical emergencies unless you think you can soak up additional costs above the $1000 if need be (it's uncommon that you'd have to pay that much but common enough that I'd recommend being prepared as much as you're able to). Also make sure you know where your nearest exotic vet is and an emergency exotic vet you can go to after hours, including their phone numbers. There's more information on all this in the medical guide linked above including how to find a good vet.

Anyway, I'm sorry for piling so much information on you! But it should give you all the basics you need for your pigs care and if you have additional questions you can use the forum search function or feel free to ask :). Skinny pigs do have some additional care considerations which you can probably find out more about by doing a forum search. Good luck and welcome on board!

skinnypiggylove

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! :eek: He's so cute! You can house him with a furred pig just fine. Have a look at local guinea pig rescues or other shelters you should be able to find a pig up for adoption near you and you might even be able to set up play dates to see if they will get along. He will definitely need a same sex or neutered cage mate. Please don't buy one from a pet store if you can avoid it.
!
Thanks so much for the advice! Its much apprexiated. I have already taken into consideration medical costs and out of my next pay cheque I'm putting aside 800$ for emergencies and 300$ monthly for food chew toys bedding and whatever else he needs. Do u know any shelters or rescue centers near Toronto I could go to?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll need some way to smooth the nails of any other pig housed with him. Some people use a dremel, others a glass file. You just don't want to leave sharp nails that can scratch the skinny's skin.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Monster is a cutey. Do you have any more pics to share?

I found all my pigs through rescues I found on Petfinder. One of them turned out to have a foster right in my town. Others have luck on Craigslist too.

My little tip for you: empty toilet paper rolls make the best chew toys! I've bought my pigs willow twig things, snack shak, seagrass twists, apple stick things, etc. But all three of my pigs like the tp rolls best!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.