Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss And then there was 1 . . . .

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Its been a tragic Christmas an New Year in my house as I've lost 3 of my 4 beautiful boys. First Buzz a couple of months ago an my last 2 just 1 day apart from each other over New Year! My Guinea Piggie room now feels so empty with just poor Dexter in there.
I'm looking for any hints and tips anyone might have for what best I can do for my last little boy? I know they prefer company but going through the bonding with another male just feels like a lot to take on right now. He does seem happy enough an is still acting like his cheeky self. I've added lots of extra beds for him an I'm thinking about re deigning his cage now he has extra space he could go into.
Any ideas would be greatly received on anything extra I can do for him now his a single pig xx

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear about your losses, so many in a short time. I don't have any ideas, since I've had my pigs a short time and have not lost any. Just wanted to offer my condolences.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys xx
I really do appreciate the support - hadn't thought about getting a neutered sow I just thought he'd still be on a hump over drive unless I got him done? Which I'm far to scared to do incase something happens to him while he's under!! Xx

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss. Was the loss age related or could it possibly have been from illness or disease? Before bringing any new ones in after the loss of more than one, I'd rule out anything environmental that might have caused it. I'd look at water source, diet, temperature, environment, predators that could have contributed to their deaths. Were they housed indoors or outdoors and what type of enclosure were they kept in?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
All indoors in 2 large c&c cages. The first one was getting on in years but he'd always been a sickly pig and was born with a mis shaped nose so was always getting uri's he was the one who lived with my remaining pig. The next one was only 2 but he got another uri that came on so quickly! I spent 3 days feeding him critical care an antibiotics but he just faded away. It was the next day I noticed his cage mate was not acting right and wasn't making bough effort to eat so I hand fed him all that day an night (this was Jan 1st) he would happily sit an eat on my knee pellets veg or hay until about 3am (2nd Jan) when he really lost interest but he was happy enough to take critical care but when I went in in the morning he wasn't making any attempt to move around his cage so off we went to the vets where I got the shocking news he was having mini strokes an by this time he was unable to use his back legs at all so I had to have him put to sleep. I've already cleared out both cages an cleaned everything as I was sure Dexter was looking for his friends through the bars an I found that heart breaking. I've obviously been watching my last little man like a hawk an he is acting completely normal so I don't think there's anything he could catch. If my last 2 had died of the same thing I'd be more worried but I think it's all just been rotten luck.
woukd it be an option to get another single male an just house them side by side or will they still not get the interaction they need? It's so strange not having a herd of squeakers upstairs xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Dexter is 3 already will that add complications to neutering? Xx

pinky

Cavy Slave
Dexter is 3 already will that add complications to neutering? Xx
At his age, I'd find him a male companion and I'd adopt from a rescue that will allow you to bring him along to choose his own friend. If you can't do that, I'd go with a pup right after its weaned from its mother or a senior male that's lived with other guinea pigs. I wouldn't pair him with one that's been a loner. I'd also disinfect the grids, replace your water bottles, and make sure every single thing they've come in contact with is disinfected to eliminate any bacteria that might be the culprit. I'd toss anything porous or wooden.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Would finding him a neutered female still be an option? Or as he's still entire will he be bugging her all the time? Xx

CoppersMom

Cavy Slave
@Rach84 My condolences for your loss, I too am going through the loss of my Teddy/Rex Mix (Coco) who was euthanized on the first of the year. It is a hard loss for my family and Coco's poor brother Copper is just not acting like himself anymore. I know he is lonely and I want to give him time to grieve before introducing him to another guinea pig. I am thinking about pairing him with a spayed sow. Guinea Pig Rescues suggest paring single males with spayed sows, they say they make great lifelong pairs. Again, I am sorry for the loss of your boys and hope you can find a perfect pair for Dexter.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't really need time to grieve, IMO. They have no concept of time, or of where the other pig went. It's far better to go ahead and get him a buddy than to let him wander around alone.

A neutered male will still mount the female if she'll let him. But in a LOT of the male-female pairs that I know about, the female is the dominant pig.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I think my best bet is going to be to organise taking him to a rescue an seeing who he picks maybe? I'll get the room ready for the latest cage change an new bedding etc ready an see if I can organise something for the weekend.
Thanks guys Xxx

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think my best bet is going to be to organise taking him to a rescue an seeing who he picks maybe? I'll get the room ready for the latest cage change an new bedding etc ready an see if I can organise something for the weekend.
Thanks guys Xxx

I volunteered at quite a few adopt a pet events where people brought a guinea pig to try and introduce to those up for adoption. It would quickly become clear which guinea pig was a match. They'd sniff but pretty much ignore one another. The guinea pig would get agitated after a few tries if none of them were successful so it's better to start with those that the rescue thinks might be a good match.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss! I hope you find Copper a lovely friend too xxxx

GayzeN

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry to hear of your losses, [MENTION=26569]Rach84[/MENTION] and [MENTION=36189]CoppersMom[/MENTION]. It seems like it's been a very tough fall/winter that way; so many of my friends and acquaintances, and I myself, have gone through sad good byes. I hope you're able to find the perfect cagemates for your little friends very soon.

atlgpmomkim

Cavy Gazer
I can't imagine how sad you must feel. I agree with pinky re doing a rescue group play date (or 2 or 3) to find a young boar Dexter may like. Or put a new one in side by side cages.

Good luck and my heart is with you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@spy9doc, I don't think so. I think it's just innate in the males, regardless of how old they were when neutered. But I imagine that some pigs can be asexual, just like some people can. Maybe that was Chester's problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.