Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Ikea Ramp

Hi everyone

So I recently moved and so used the excuse to build my girls a new cage. I have more space so have increased the bottom level of the cage to a 2x5 (soon to be 2x6) but I am looking to rebuild the top half. Unfortunately when I moved my old ramp was damaged and I'm looking to build a new one. The old one wasn't great to begin with. I think I read on this previously about people using an ikea plastic bag holder as ramp (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80010222/). I have bought two of these but I wasn't sure how to set it up? Also two seems too long, but one seems to be too steep. Has anyone any experience using this? OR any pictures of it in use?

Thanks
    Dervly

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1171 Post(s)

Re: Ikea Ramp

Using the Ikea holders as a ramp seems more trouble than it's worth! If you were in the US, I would encourage you to buy a ramp from the parent site of this forum.

You may want to check out a thread of mine from 2012 with complete instructions on how to make a coroplast reinforced ramp that is quite similar to the one that is sold there.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...amp?highlight=

3. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Re: Ikea Ramp

I agree, you could still use the bag holders as nice tunnels though.

If you really wanted to secure two together you would need to use a hacksaw or exactosaw to cut one to the proper length, (depending on your determination any shape object could work but please don't hurt yourself) then heat up the raw edge to make it smooth (aluminum foil on an electric burner will do nicely, make sure the vent is on as it will smell) then put the two sides together with some sort of resin epoxy and duct tape. Get a strip of Berber carpet for the inside of the ramp (or take home a bunch of free samples from Home Depot or lowes) and glue it/them to the bottom. Then just drill two holes in the top, zip tie, and done.

User Tag List