Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Freebie in my hay.... gross.

piggielife

Cavy Slave
I am halfway through a bag of Oxbow Western Timothy Hay, which my piggies LOVE, when I found a decaying frog in the bag. Disgusting! Of course I have already tossed the receipt but I called Petsmart and they will exchange it for me. I took a picture of the frog in the bag and the lot number on the back of the bag and emailed Oxbow. I know frogs are common in fields... but I would expect a little better quality control. YUCK!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is no quality control on hay. If there were, you couldn't afford to buy it. It's a totally mechanized process from the time it's raked and baled until it winds up sealed in bags or wrapped in plastic or whatever. Both Canada and the U.S. produce hundreds of millions of bales of hay every year, and if someone had to look at it all for frogs/bones/sticks/dried animals/whatever, the cost would skyrocket.

piggielife

Cavy Slave
Good point... it's still pretty disgusting though... I picked up a big pile and it was in there and almost went in my piggie cage! Ewww.....

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have always feared this. Hopefully it will never happen.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Oxbow claims to hand sort the small bags (under 9 pounds). I would freak out if I found a frog though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.