Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Medical Thread ~ Pumpkin

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
So today I was checking out the cage and refilling the hay as par and noticed Pumpkin's genitals were red. I immediatly freaked out and made a vet appointment. They won't go into the vet for another 3+ days and I've taken Pumpkin and Rosie (other pig) out and they are on my bed eating veggies. They are both still active and wheeking when I scratch their veggie tray. Also chewing up a storm currently as I write this on their twig hut. I don't see any red marks around where she was laying and it was a color that would show red.

So I have a few questions:

1. What do you think it is?
  2. What more can I do?
  3. Will she be okay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe she was just laying in a pile of her own waste and the area is irritated. I'd give her a warm butt bath, dry her off well, and just watch her. If it gets better, you can cancel the vet appointment.

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
Maybe she was just laying in a pile of her own waste and the area is irritated. I'd give her a warm butt bath, dry her off well, and just watch her. If it gets better, you can cancel the vet appointment.

I put them out on a white towel to make sure. The fur around it showed that it was wet so I assumed the worst. Could it have been hay as well? They drag it out often and then pee and lay in it. I haven't cleaned up their hay yet either.

EDIT : They need their nails clipped anyhow so I'm gonna keep the appointment and get a checkup as well.

EDIT 2 : While on the white towel she got up and there was a faint red spot.

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
After those two edits she peed and it was more red than the first spot. Like a lot more red.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then she may have a UTI or a stone. I'd call the vet and see if I could get her in earlier.

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
Then she may have a UTI or a stone. I'd call the vet and see if I could get her in earlier.

We got her in at earliest the 24th. We tried to get earlier but they said it wasn't possible. I was holding her like 2 days ago and nothing was up, along with a cage clean (in which I put them on a white towel while I clean) and nothing was there afterwards so this is the first symptom of a UTI or Stone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.