Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Tortillas?

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
So I'm not 100% vegetarian but I want to be one soon. I will never become vegan because I don't see anything wrong with using animal products, but that's just me. The thing is I'm 50% Mexican and we eat A LOT of tortillas which use animal fat to make. They do make corn tortillas but they aren't very good. I feel like it would be impossible to give them up. Do you think that since they were going to kill the animal for there meat either way it would be okay?

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
If you are going vegetarian it doesn't seem right. If you are not strict, then its your opinion.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I absolutely cannot decipher your logic. If you don't have a problem with animal products, what is your concern with the animal fat?

And if you are trying to give up meat, presumably as a result of concerns over factory farming, why would it somehow be better if the animal whose fat is used in your tortilla is being killed for its meat?

If you personally don't have a problem with the way animals are treated and raised (indicated by the comment about not having a problem with animal products), but you do have a problem with them being raised and killed for their meat, I'd really suggest you do some deeper research on factory farming.

bugman

Cavy Slave
I am also Mexican and a vegetarian. I have never had a problem finding vegetarian flour tortillas. Mission tortillas are vegan, as are, I suspect many other major brands. As for restaurants, that can be dicier, but I think manteca de vegetal is being used with more and more frequency instead of lard. Corn tortillas are almost universally vegan.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I prefer corn tortillas to wheat ones!

bugman

Cavy Slave
I prefer corn tortillas to wheat ones!

so do i, although i do enjoy a decent flour tortilla. i live in maryland, and we have a huge central american pop, so, in addition to your standard flat corn tortillas, we also get these delicious thick varieties. when i heat them up, i tend to throw the corn directly on the flame; brings the flavor out mightily.

katkor03

Cavy Slave
Make sure that if you are going to become vegetarian, that you still consume enough B12. These are mostly found in animal products but can also be in extra supplements if you are deciding to stop eating dairy or meat. B12 is the vitamin that lets you break down the rest in your gut.

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
@Paula; I feel like the way you are wording this shaming me. It sounds like your trying to make me feel bad for thinking this way and I don't find it helpful at all. I'm only 12, don't expect me to know everything about being a vegetarian. it also sounds like your saying I should be a vegan. I have absolutely no problem with others being vegan, I just don't want to be one myself and I hope that you can respect that. Just because I'm not vegan doesn't mean that I'm perfectly fine with the way these animals are treated. I get eggs from a friend of mine who owns 6 chickens, and I get milk from a local farm that often visit and they have all there animals in great care. I never said anything about factory farming, you are just making an assumption. I'm 20 pounds underweight and becomeing vegan would make it extremely difficult for me to gain that weight. Please respect my thinking, I respect yours, I just don't respect the way that you are shaming me for having a different opinion.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I would just try making your own tortillas without the animal fat. I made them before and it's not as hard as it looks just takes a bit more time to prepare :) plus the great thing is that you can make them exactly to your liking and they will be fresh.

Tigermoth

Cavy Slave
I stopped eating meat when I was 11. I'm 40 now! to begin with I just stopped eating what was obviously meat, I didn't think to check labels and see what "hidden" stuff was in there. As time moved forward I became a bit more confident in my choices and a bit more committed. I stopped eating fish too and I started to read on the packets to see if it was suitable (which was hard because gelatin is in a lot of sweet stuff that I liked and that was no longer allowed). I was well supported by my Mum who did the same but actually went one step further and became vegan. She was vegan for a long long time, but now she eats meat and dairy again. I didn't eat fish until I was 30 but then pregnancy meant I revisited my choices.

At the end of the day, you don't have to defend your choices and reasoning to anyone (except maybe your parents ;) they might be worried about you getting the nutrients an adolescent body needs, and that is a fair concern, you have to make sure you keep up a good balanced diet, veggie or not!). If you decide to stop eating meat but still have the odd tortilla which contains animal fat then that is your choice to make. Just remember that lots of vegetarians and vegans make their choices that are different to you but they may be very passionate about why they came to that decision and can be a bit over-zealous in how they get their point across. They aren't always trying to shame you, they are just passionate about what they believe. But hey, if everyone did a little bit of a good thing the world would be in a much better place than just a handful of people that give it 110%.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION]; I feel like the way you are wording this shaming me.
Actually, I just can't understand why, if you're giving up meat to spare some animals from dying, you seem to prefer tortillas with fat from animals being killed for their meat. Maybe that isn't what you meant, but it's the way it sounds from your original post.

And, again, your comment was that you don't see any problem with animal products (presumably besides meat). I'm just suggesting you look into the things involved in producing animal products before you decide whether you have a problem with them or not.

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
Actually, I just can't understand why, if you're giving up meat to spare some animals from dying, you seem to prefer tortillas with fat from animals being killed for their meat. Maybe that isn't what you meant, but it's the way it sounds from your original post.

And, again, your comment was that you don't see any problem with animal products (presumably besides meat). I'm just suggesting you look into the things involved in producing animal products before you decide whether you have a problem with them or not.

I was going to leave the entire forum because people continuously trying to change what I do, and what I think, but I'm not going to let it get to me anymore. Like I said before I DO NOT get my eggs, cheese, milk, ect from factory farming. I would appreciate it if you read my entire comment before replying. I do not want you to change the fact that you are vegan, I do not want any body to change anything about them even if I don't agree with them, you should do the same. You could have simply told me some alternatives instead of implying that I should be a vegan. Please respect me, and others, opinions, I respect yours. Also I have been told by my doctor that if I were to go vegan it would cause me serious health issues. I have much trouble gaining weight, I am usually about 20 lbs. under weight, going vegan would make it very, very difficult for me to gain that weight. Know peoples backgrounds before you start to judge them.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I was going to leave the entire forum because people continuously trying to change what I do, and what I think, but I'm not going to let it get to me anymore. Like I said before I DO NOT get my eggs, cheese, milk, ect from factory farming. I would appreciate it if you read my entire comment before replying. I do not want you to change the fact that you are vegan, I do not want any body to change anything about them even if I don't agree with them, you should do the same. You could have simply told me some alternatives instead of implying that I should be a vegan. Please respect me, and others, opinions, I respect yours. Also I have been told by my doctor that if I were to go vegan it would cause me serious health issues. I have much trouble gaining weight, I am usually about 20 lbs. under weight, going vegan would make it very, very difficult for me to gain that weight. Know peoples backgrounds before you start to judge them.

Actually, [MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION] is making sense. You said you want to become vegetarian, NOT vegan, correct? Animal fat is NOT meat, correct? You said you have no problem with animal products, so your original post overall does not make sense.
We are not attacking you, we are trying to make sense of what you are saying. I feel like you are over reacting, no one on this post is trying to change what you think or believe. No one is judging you on this thread, but I'm sorry if that has happened previously.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.