Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

How long until my guinea pigs give birth?!

FloChild

Cavy Gazer
I have two sows who are pregnant (it was accidental, friends who looked after them while we were away accidentally put my sows and boars together) and we think they should be due literally any day now. I will try and be as detailed as possible with my explanation.
Hazel and Mia got pregnant from any time after October 10th, they all went in together on October 10th. If it was October 18th (when I found pink-tinted wee in the hutch, may have been unrelated though - I haven't heard people experience this with gp pregnancy so I would say it has nothing to do with it) then day 68 is Christmas Eve. If it was October 10th then day 68 is today. Mia is expecting 3-4 pups and Hazel is expecting 2-3. Hazel's pelvic bones have been separated for at least 4 days, possibly a week, and Mia feels tender but we didn't try feeling for her bones because she seems so close to birth.
For two-three weeks now we have felt pups moving, we have been able to see them moving as well. Little legs have been kicking out now and then, here and there. On Tuesday we noticed that the babies have moved lower down, they used to sit quite high on their mummies sides but now they have dropped to right underneath the mothers tummies. I know that guinea pigs don't nest as such but Hazel has been sat in a corner of hutch, surrounded in a little bed of hay (bedding) for the past few days and only moves once or twice to her bowl and bottle, also they have been unusually quiet and calm. Also rather than just feeling blobs moving like I did a couple of weeks ago, I can actually feel the shape of the heads and everything.

I know what labour looks like, but are there any signs as to when your guineapigs are ready?? And how far along would you say each guinea pig is?? Thank you :) any hints, tips, advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.