Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Bump on lip and black nostrils.

Mikko

Cavy Slave
xtsO_5V-zDQISwF7udLOq1qjflPoyAagLlM3Z_M__sk.jpg9QBwZiMFLVqEkDcykMKp4CtxPwsKyrqbT-zDFYnjY00.jpg-aalzVVlPSxhpdx1G3rixjBNwVRfXH-1dsvIZy1GMAc.jpg
Was having lap time with my pigs today and noticed they each have a nostril with some black specks coming out on their left sides.
As well, noticed my Abyssinian Napoleon has a bump on his lip. As well as a little bit of crust around his eye on his left side.

Took my Teddy (Dennis) a month ago and they said he was fine but might have dandruff and ring worm (told me to come back if it gets worse but both went away).
Napoleon (blonde Abyssinian) I got about a month ago and he was not fed the proper food at his old house (not sure if they gave him veges and he had pellets with large nuts and chunks in it).

I have an appointment planned for them in the new year. Do I need to go sooner?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It wouldn't hurt to go sooner if you can get an appointment. It's not an emergency, but it is a little odd, and it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

Mikko

Cavy Slave
Got an appointment for later today. Will update after I see the vet.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Let us know what's going on

Mikko

Cavy Slave
Napoleon's lip lump: Doctor said they had never seen anything like it before. She thinks it's just a growth and not problematic but if it gets bigger or interferes with his eating (it hasn't) then he has to be put on an anesthesia and then have it removed. Says it doesn't look infected or hurt but have to keep an eye on it if he scratches at it.
Nose black nostrils: Said it could have been from the dry weather we have here (Edmonton, Canada). I ran my humidifier last night and there was no nostril problems today. My nostrils have also been dry with some dried blood on them so that's what it may have been. Vet didn't notice anything wrong with their breathing or nose. Heart beat was regular as well.
Dennis: He started limping out of no where today and wasn't putting weight on his front right foot so they gave me an anti-inflammatory for him to give for 5 days. He's separated from Napoleon for those 5 days and until his foot is better.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you separate them for five days, you'll have to do full introductions again. It's easier, though it does still require reintroduction, to just section off one end of the main cage with grids (or whatever) and confine him in a smaller space, but still in the cage with his buddy.

Mikko

Cavy Slave
If you separate them for five days, you'll have to do full introductions again. It's easier, though it does still require reintroduction, to just section off one end of the main cage with grids (or whatever) and confine him in a smaller space, but still in the cage with his buddy.
Thank you for the tip. I have him sectioned off and I'll probably end up babying both of them for the next couple of days. I will try to do lap time together so they don't get too lonely.
Besides that does anyone have a link to a guide for giving him the medicine? It's in a syringe so I've been reading about syringe feeding pigs but still don't want any problems if I can avoid it.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
The bump looks like one of many that my dog has which are just aging bumps like moles. I find the easiest way to syringe feed for me is to have him on the table holding his mid section with one hand and having him faced away from you, with his back against your chest and bum on the table. Then put the syringe inside his mouth pretty deep, going in from the side. He obviously won't like it but patience and practice are key.

Mikko

Cavy Slave
Thanks for advice. The medicine giving went well. Thanks to this forum for being there for it. I'm such a mess because these are my first pets and first time guinea pig owner. I love my piggies so much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.