Thread: Anyone else find that their piggies help with mental illnesses?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone else find that their piggies help with mental illnesses?

I've struggled with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember
    I got my little boys about a month ago and my goodness, when my mind starts going into bad places, nothing helps like some little snuggle bugs curling up with you
    Knowing someone/something else relies on me really helps me take my mind out of the gutter
    I'm all these little guys have got and being able to dote on them and spoil them makes me feel useful when I feel otherwise pointless a lot of times

2. "Thank you, twentyonedorks, for this useful post," say these 6 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Re: Anyone else find that their piggies help with mental illnesses?

I think animals offer unconditional love which is good for everyone. It's wonderful that your boys give you comfort, @twentyonedorks. You sound like a very kind and thoughtful person with a lot to offer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Absolutely, it's amazing what seeing one of my girls put their feet up on the cage and try to get to me will do to me, it's like they break down all of our barriers

5. "Thank you, Saylavi, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Yes animals do help with depression! They can also help lower blood pressure! Last year my dog of 13 years passed away and all I did was cry..my daughter & I have 2 female piggies and they really helped me get through it. Of course my hubby and kids helped also

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

My boyfriend and I both struggle with depression and the pigs have really been a life changer in that regard. They're cute and pettable, and it helps to know that there are little lives that need us to care for them.

That said, guinea pig introductions do nothing for my anxiety. My room is a cloud of boar stink right now, and when they chatter at each other, I can't do anything but sit next to them with a towel and worry.

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

If I don't want to get out of bed in the morning mine will wheek until I get up. They don't give me a choice.

9. "Thank you, Rywen, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

My dog helped greatly with my depression 20 years ago. I didn't think a pocket pet could do that, but they sure make me smile! Cuddles are great and watching them respond to your voice makes me feel like they really know I am their mama.

11. "Thank you, Kelly9, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

I can't even imagine life without pigs in it anymore, despite the pain of losing three of them in less than six months.
    Mine have helped me greatly with aspergers related issues such as anxiety, sensitivity to stress & unpredictable situations (..I sound like a guinea pig myself.)
    Combined with medication I no longer suffer the same degree of depression, and it led to me finally graduating high school with top grades. I also wouldn't have considered university before I had pigs, but now I'll be a vet nursing student for the upcoming three years.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Have been struggling with depression for about a year or two now and my guinea pig sure did help

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly9 View Post
    My dog helped greatly with my depression 20 years ago. I didn't think a pocket pet could do that, but they sure make me smile! Cuddles are great and watching them respond to your voice makes me feel like they really know I am their mama.
    It's amazing what kind of joy these little animals bring isn't it! I didn't even realize it myself!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I actually got Teddy to help out with depression, then I got Rose to keep her company.

Hoping not to derail the thread, but...

Has anyone had trouble with their depression/anxiety/(insert whatever here) interfering with their ability to take care of their piggies?

Don't get me wrong; I'm still taking care of them, but it's getting harder and harder to find the motivation just to get out of bed.

I just feel like they'd be better off with someone else...

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RestlessDreamer View Post
    I actually got Teddy to help out with depression, then I got Rose to keep her company.

Has anyone had trouble with their depression/anxiety/(insert whatever here) interfering with their ability to take care of their piggies?

Don't get me wrong; I'm still taking care of them, but it's getting harder and harder to find the motivation just to get out of bed.

Its to normal to think like that, to sometimes feed them a couple hours late because bed is so comfy, or change their fleece a day late because it's too tiring, but at the end of the day as long as you still love them that's enough. You might be able to move them into your bedroom or the room right next door, or if you're like me I bring them into bed with me. (I wash my bed sheets a lot)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RestlessDreamer View Post

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for a very long time. When I lived with my mother, who contributed to a lot of my depression , anxiety, etc., I found it incredibly hard to care for my snakes. I had to will myself to get out of bed, to get off the couch to give my snakes water, to feed my dogs and cats. It was very hard, especially when the person you rely on the most to understand and accept whats wrong with you, threatens to take away all of your coping mechanisms.

I'm in a better place now that I've moved out, and found it incredibly relieving and wonderful to finally act like an adult and be treated like a human being and bring able to care for all of my animals without my mind holding me back.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Yes I have! This is so wonderful I've run across this, because I thought I was the only one who thought this. They're really amazing

19. "Thank you, Tatyannalol, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

I Find myself saying sometimes that these small animals are blessed creatures of God, because they are.
    I call them my children, my kids, because they are. I have no desire to have children some day, so my pets are my children to me. I can spend all my money on them and not feel bad about it.
    But in connection to this thread, ever since my best friend of 6 years decided I wasn't as cool and crazy as her new friends and we were too different to continue on, I have had horrible anxiety concerning her. She broke off our incredibly close friendship during the week of graduation too, which made it all the harder since I was looking forward to graduating at her side and going to the party together and all that. We were closer than I had ever been with any of my friends before, we told eachother everything, we sat in the car until 2 am and talked about our problems on school nights, I was the one who she came running to when her boyfriend left her. And she told me it was nothing. She told me I was the one who manipulated her for five years. She said it was my fault. I tried soooo hard to fix things, and she refused. I cried and cried, I became depressed. Even my loving, doting boyfriend couldn't haul me out of it. He still can't help me even now when I'm upset about it. She hurt me. I've heard losing a best friend is more painful then losing a partner. It's true. It's been 7 months now since I last talked to her and it still hurts. I get extreme anxiety if I see her in public, or hear about her.

In December, I got my first two pigs. A couple weeks later, I didn't even realize it but I hadn't thought about that friend at all in those weeks. I was so wrapped up in my pigs, being a doting new piggie mother, spending half my paycheck on their wellbeing. A month later I thought about her and realized it didn't hurt as much, not when my pigs were curled up in my arms, or wheeking for their dinner or spazzing around the cage. I was so distracted by my love for them and keeping myself busy with their cage project and all that. It still hurts to think about that friend, but if I'm upset I just curl up on my bed with a pig next to me, or I sit and watch them all interact in the cage. They've helped me so much. I always thought when I first got Pansy that it would be like having large hamsters, but I was so wrong. My hamsters never showed me the kind of affection these pigs do. They never squeaked for their meals. They never ran and spazzed when I came home. I loved my hamsters, but I wish I had discovered pigs first. They make my heart swell with love for them every day I see them. I can't wait each day at work to go home and see them. There is a connection between me and them I never could have imagined. I love them so much it hurts. These animals will never see a bad day in my care. I am so happy to be apart of a community that cares for these animals as much as I do. ❤️

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I find chock valueable for my mental well being
    Its nice to feel loved and wanted.
    I am blind so cant see picks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I also find chock's coat lovely and calming to stroke... He loves the atention too.
    I am blind so cant see picks

User Tag List