Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Why Buy a C&C cage?

I've heard that a lot of people are going to these cubes and chloroplast cages and been thinking about making the switch.

But can someone tell me all the real benefits of switching to the C&C cage? Is it considered healthier or safer for the guinea pigs if they are in those cages? Please tell me! I am close to making the switch but i'm a bit on the edge.

Thanks in advance!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Re: Why Buy a C&C cage?

It is cheaper for the amount of space they provide and It's easier to make on your own and design however you like. It provides a tonne of ventilation and a lot of floor space for them to run around. It's easy to clean. There are endless benefits but I won't list them all. It is easily the best thing I've done for my guinea pigs, I highly recommend it.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

You don't need to make it out of grids. You can use wire shelving or other materials to make a larger cage. Large space at a low cost is the biggest benefit. You can usually find grids and wire shelving at goodwill, craigslist or freecycle.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I'll tell you my experience with c&c cages was not a good one. This probably does not happen to everyone but my guinea pigs did everything they could to destroy the cage. Those grids are not all the same so if you are ever forced to get a different brand of grids, you may find the connectors won't work with grids you already own. If you want to do a non-standard size of c&c cage you're going to have hell trying to get coroplast. I built a 5x5 c&c cage and the piggles loved it but I spent a few hundred trying to put a c&c cage together these pigs would not destroy and I eventually decided to build my own cage out of wood.

I had no tools or knowledge on using wood (or tools) but after talking with friends, people at home depot and using youtube and google, I learned enough to plan out and then build my own wood cage. I just finished it a couple of days ago and it's perfect. The piggles love it and those grids I had for the old cage, I now use as a play pen. I zip tied them all except the end grids and can take it outdoors in the summer to let them play outside in the grass and can use it indoors as a giant fenced play area.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision, many people use grids and don't have the problems I did so don't take my experience to heart. I just hope whatever you decide, it's right for you and your pigs. Best of luck to you and please share some pictures of your future cage!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Actually, all you have to do is zip-tie the grids together. Many people build their cages very successfully without using the connectors.

It's election time. There's free coroplast in every city -- just pick up the election signs after the voting on Tuesday. You can tape it together on the backside and it will work very well.

6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias2189 View Post
    I'll tell you my experience with c&c cages was not a good one. This probably does not happen to everyone but my guinea pigs did everything they could to destroy the cage. Those grids are not all the same so if you are ever forced to get a different brand of grids, you may find the connectors won't work with grids you already own. If you want to do a non-standard size of c&c cage you're going to have hell trying to get coroplast. I built a 5x5 c&c cage and the piggles loved it but I spent a few hundred trying to put a c&c cage together these pigs would not destroy and I eventually decided to build my own cage out of wood.

I had no tools or knowledge on using wood (or tools) but after talking with friends, people at home depot and using youtube and google, I learned enough to plan out and then build my own wood cage. I just finished it a couple of days ago and it's perfect. The piggles love it and those grids I had for the old cage, I now use as a play pen. I zip tied them all except the end grids and can take it outdoors in the summer to let them play outside in the grass and can use it indoors as a giant fenced play area.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision, many people use grids and don't have the problems I did so don't take my experience to heart. I just hope whatever you decide, it's right for you and your pigs. Best of luck to you and please share some pictures of your future cage!
    How are you protecting the wood from urine?
    Wont they chew the wood?

Thanks
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/432 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)

Another potential issue with wood cages vs. c&c cages is if any of the guinea pigs were to get a fungal infection. With a c&c cage you can wipe down the whole cage with water and a touch of bleach to sterilize the cage. With wood the fungal spores go into the grain of the wood, the only way to remove fungal spores from wood is to bake the wood at a fairly high temperature for several hours which would be an impossible task with a cage made of wood.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I'm using a thin piece of plastic to protect the wood from urine and that forces the bedding to absorb it. It's the same way any standard cage works. The urine sinks down and is absorbed into the lower bedding. I'm also using three to four inches of bedding to ensure that the urine is not being absorbed by the top layer and stays away from them.

As for chewing, the cage has no internal corners so it prevents (does not make it impossible though) them finding anywhere to bite and I'm also providing chews for them so I'm hoping that they'll not try the walls because it's just easier to find a chewy.

Edit: The cage cost so little and was so easy to put together so in the very unlikely event some type of fungus was an issue, it would be easy enough to just build again. But as was said, it's unlikely. As with any cage built, there are going to be drawbacks. Until someone comes up with the perfect cage, we're going to have to decide what imperfection we're willing to deal with.
    Last edited by Tobias2189; 12-12-15 at 10:15 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I build my grids cages with 75 lb strength zip ties. They make an extremely sturdy cage. Different brands of grids are not exactly the same so the connectors from one brand won't necessarily fit another brand. I've bought grids and connectors at Goodwill and off of craigslist and discovered that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias2189 View Post
    I'm using a thin piece of plastic to protect the wood from urine and that forces the bedding to absorb it. It's the same way any standard cage works. The urine sinks down and is absorbed into the lower bedding. I'm also using three to four inches of bedding to ensure that the urine is not being absorbed by the top layer and stays away from them.

As for chewing, the cage has no internal corners so it prevents (does not make it impossible though) them finding anywhere to bite and I'm also providing chews for them so I'm hoping that they'll not try the walls because it's just easier to find a chewy.

Edit: The cage cost so little and was so easy to put together so in the very unlikely event some type of fungus was an issue, it would be easy enough to just build again. But as was said, it's unlikely. As with any cage built, there are going to be drawbacks. Until someone comes up with the perfect cage, we're going to have to decide what imperfection we're willing to deal with.
    I'd make sure the bottom and a few inches above each side is protected since urine can seep up the sides. 4" of bedding won't protect the wood. It needs to be waterproof.

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I made the switch to a C&C cage and I will never go back. It's so easy to clean. Like I can't imagine any cage being easier to clean than a c&c. Also it's so much fun to customize the shape and even color of coroplast if your local sign shop has that option. And it is also really easy to expand as well, if you're like me and just constantly wanting to expand. I highly recommend them. I use the connectors and zip ties but it can be held together just as well with just the zip ties. I just used the connectors because my cage was having trouble keeping it's shape on the table I have the cage on.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

C and C cages have changed my piggies life.
    1. They are very customizable so you can design your own dream cage!
    2. Pet store cages are WAY too small, they are basically a glorified litter box.
    3. They are pretty easy to clean
    4. You can interact with your piggies more, especailly if you have a no ceiling cage
    5.You get happier, healthier piggies
    And lastly, piggies need space! Petstore cages have no room for running and popcorning around! My guinea pig would always have to squeeze through objects, like his food bowl anbd hidey. And also, think about it, eat, sleep and drink water? Not the most interesting life to me.
    Im happier, my piggies happier, never gong back. I hope you make the switch, its all worth it!

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just recently switched my Guinea pigs from a glass aquarium to a c&c cage. They're a lot happier, more comfortable with me and are 10x more active. I've noticed a little weight loss in one of my pigs which I haven't been able to get down for the 3 years I've owned him. (The vet told me he was overweight). That's my personal experience. I can't say if it would be better for your pigs or not.

User Tag List