Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Very sneezy piggy! Need advice!

Racheese

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I'm a bit new to owning Guinea pigs. My boyfriend and I got two very sweet boys about three weeks ago. They're just a little under a year. (Blooky and Chen)
Ever since we got them, Blooky has sneezed quite a bit. We thought it could have been his bedding so we switched from Kaytee brand to Care Fresh. He was fine and only sneezed maybe once or twice a day at first but then started to sneeze a ton so we just switched to the dust free bedding this morning. He still sneezes and rubs his nose a bit.
I know they hide they're illnesses very well and we have definitely looked into a possible URI, but he has no discharge coming from his nose, he doesn't cough--although he has when he drinks water really fast, and he's eating a lot as usual and playing. I'm going to make a vet appointment in the morning but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this. Like are there other things that could cause sneezing?
What kind of bedding is the best?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
If your hay or pellets are dusty, that can also cause sneezing. I also think some pigs are just more sensitive than others. One of my boys is very sensitive to hay dust. Nothing I do eliminates his sneezing completely, but the better quality the hay, the less trouble he has.

It's probably still a good idea to have him checked by a vet. They can verify that it's not a URI or pneumonia, and it's a good opportunity to get to know your exotics vet early.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I think the best bedding is fleece. I use it with two layers of U-Haul under it but some people use wood pellets. Fleece is not dusty at all and it is very smooth and soft. Here is an article all about fleece https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study and here is a post about using U-haul under the fleece https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/58123-Review-UHaul-blanket and here is one talking about wood pellets https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107419-3-full-weeks-of-wood-pellets

Racheese

Cavy Slave
Hey! Thank you guys so much for the advice. Blooky has a vet appointment on Thursday, but I'm going to watch him until then to see if it's something else. The food I had for them was the Kaytee Fiesta Goirmet Variety Diet. I've been reading up on products and I found that Kaytee isn't all too great. So I bought Oxbow Cavy Cuisine today and I'm going to try that with them. They kept spilling the Kaytee brand and not eating it as much. I'm totally going to try fleece bedding!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.