Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Separating babies

katie9479

Cavy Slave
it's been 3 1/2 weeks since Henrietta had her babies. 2 boys and a girl. Sadly, we said goodbye to the boys and gave them to thier new homes. The girl who was the runt is still nursing. She was scheduled to go to her home this week. Is it safe to do so? Thursday she will be 4 weeks old. She can eat, drink on her own, btw.
Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, she go. The mom would wean her in the next few days, anyway.

katie9479

Cavy Slave
thank you! I have to say, saying goodbye to them has been terribly sad!

katie9479

Cavy Slave
Also, will mom get depressed? anything I can do? extra treats? I

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Hopefully the baby girl will have a companion guinea pig?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Will the baby go to a home that already has another female?
Does the mom have a friend to keep her company when the baby is gone? If not, can you keep her?

katie9479

Cavy Slave
Both mom and babies will be the only GP. We rescued ours thinking she was a he.

katie9479

Cavy Slave
And this baby was promised to a good friend before knowing her sex

katie9479

Cavy Slave
no, sadly I could not find anyone who would take them both so they went to separate homes

pinky

Cavy Slave
Please keep the baby with the mother. They'll both end up being depressed alone. Mother-daughter pairs make very good companions. It would be cruel to separate them and have them alone.

Kristi26

Cavy Slave
Yes, please keep them together! Separating them isn't right. They'll get depressed.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
This is just sad. Babies especially are scared and lonely when separated from others. I urge you to contact the persons you gave the pigs to and tell them that it's best for them to find companions for their baby guinea pigs.

katie9479

Cavy Slave
Sad? I think that is a bit harsh considering that these babies went to loving homes and not the humane society/ASPCA.I am extremely sensitive to the fact that they may be scared and my heart hurts knowing that but no one was willing to take two. Please be be mindful that my piggie was abandoned and wondering the streets when I gave her a home not realizing she was pregnant. Growing attached to her and not able to keep an additional, I am not sure what other options there are. In a perfect world, I'd love to keep them all but that is not an option.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It is sad that they are all being sentenced to a life of isolation. The simple truth is, guinea pigs are herd animals and require a companion. It doesn't matter how much attention or love you give your pig, she will still have a lonely life. No one is trying to upset you or be mean, we are all just concerned for the best interest of the pigs.

I would highly consider keeping the female baby, going from one guinea pig to two is not really much of a change. A little extra cage cleaning, plus a bit more hay, pellets and veggies is all it takes. Both will lead much happier lives if they can have a companion.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You are the one who gave them out singly. You could have held on to them until someone was able to take two.

I always feel that unless you are able to give an animal the essentials they need for a good life, you probably shouldn't have that animal. Did you know that in one country at least, it's illegal to have only one guinea pig?

Nannub

Cavy Slave
You are the one who gave them out singly. You could have held on to them until someone was able to take two.

I always feel that unless you are able to give an animal the essentials they need for a good life, you probably shouldn't have that animal. Did you know that in one country at least, it's illegal to have only one guinea pig?

That is true. I had a lonely guinea pig for less than a month and omg she was so sad. Sleeping all day, no social at all. Now that I got her a cage mate she popcorns like crazy all day. Well.... her cage mate turned out to be pregnant too, so now I have 4. Hoping that both are female piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.