Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Is there a suitable pet for me?

stoevring

Cavy Slave
I miss an animal companion. But i'm not home from friday afternoon to monday afternoon. Is there any pets at all that would be fine that long alone?

And if not, its not like i couldnt go home saturday or sunday to change water/food. .. any at all that would fit? :(

stoevring

Cavy Slave
All that comes to mind is some reptiles. I'm no reptile expert, but I know there are snakes that could be left for a weekend without issue. Or fish, if you had a vacation feeder or automatic feeder.
Alright... theyre not really my thing. :(

kemmm

Cavy Slave
I have a bearded dragon, and he is really low maintenance. They're not slimy or gross. They're very docile.

G.Piggies

Cavy Slave
I'd try some fish. Betta maybe? They are pretty cool in my opinion. Since you can't feed and water every day I wouldn't try any of the fluffy pets or hedgies. Good luck!

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Set up an aquarium, like a 20 gallon. Do some research, and fill it with some beginner tropical freshwater fish, like guppies and tetras. Put it in your room or somewhere where you can see it a lot. Decorate it to your liking, and just get some weekend feeders for when youre gone. I have an aquarium, and its very relaxing to watch and i always enjoy picking out new fish to put in it, there are SO MANY different kinds out there! Maintenance is pretty low after the thing has been set up for a while. I never used to want or care for fish, i like to hold my pets, but once i did get fish i didnt regret it. Theyre more interesting than you would think. :)

Otherwise I have no others ideas for you. Most critters need lots of attention.

urofan

Cavy Slave
I don't think that getting a Reptile would be a good idea because the lighting equipment could burn out when you are gone.

bugman

Cavy Slave
tarantula! the most low-maintenance animal that exists (to my knowledge). they can go months without food (mine doesn't eat from november-april) and they don't require much water. as long as they're not in direct sunlight and it doesn't get too cold (got rock), these fascinating gorgeous animals are essentially easier to care for than plants. i've had mine, a chilean rose, for 26 years; she's thirty.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
Do you have a friend who could stop in once a day to check on them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have to say a cat, full grown, not a kitten. A fresh ex large clean litter pan combined with a large bowl of food and a fresh water type bowl along with another larger bowl of water left out and it will be fine. If you could get two it would be perfect but then you would need 2-3 litter pans. With a tv left on and lots of toys, cats have been left alone for weekends many times.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
Another possibility would be a hamster. They do need large cages (to most peoples suprise) especially if they spend a whole weekend without coming out. They do not crave human attention but when tamed properly can learn to enjoy it. You would need a friend to stop in to check their water bottle as they can suddenly leak or stop giving water. And hamsters rarely eat more than they need and will hide the rest around the cage so as you get more experience you will learn how much is needed for a weekend and the person stopping in to check the water can check food as well. Please do tons of research for whatever animal you decide to go with to make sure it's a good fit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.