Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty My Widgey has an eye issue

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
I just got back from the vet, but I need answers. Last night when I was getting ready for work I was giving the boys their food and I saw Widgey and his left eye just looked weird. There's a whiteish spot at the top of his eye, and then a blue coloring surrounding his eye, there doesnt seem to be any redness. He doesnt to appear do be in pain, but it has me freaked out and the vet said he possibly poked his eyes with a piece of hay or part of the cage, so she gave me ointment and gotta go from there, but im still freaked and wanna know what you guys think, I might be over thinking and just plain freaked out, but dealing with these things are not my cliche, because i had to take my dog to the for surgery, but i just need to know if this could be something more

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture of it?

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
A few years ago I had a pig who developed the same condition in her eye as your pig has. Since it was late at night and I was so upset we took her to our local emergency hospital. The veterinarian examined her eye and thought she probably poked it on something. He gave me drops to administer into her eye and within 24 hours her eye looked almost normal. By day two you couldn't even tell she had injured it.

I hope your piggy recovers as quickly. Many times I think eye injuries look worse than they are and most are resolved quickly.

Oh man right i think the worst when it comes to things and I had so much happen with the vet with my dog, that when this happened I was going "overdrive" but i think he'll get better very soon

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture of it?

He just got his ointment and I'm let him settle until tomorrow and then I'll show you guys. hes mad at me right now :(

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
Hay poke injury.jpg
This is his eye. sorry if its not great but better then nothing

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I don't see anything. is it the corner of his eye?

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
at the top, you can see its a blueish color. in this i dont see the whiteish spot. but again this was as best as he was going to give me

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I might be seriously blind. Do you mind if I post this somewhere to see if someone else can see something wrong.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't really see anything wrong with it. Look at https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html and see if anything resembles your pig's eye. Be sure to follow the osseous choristoma and osseous metaplasia links.

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
ill see about getting a better picture,

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Is this a cavy vet that you trust? Did she stain the eye to make her diagnosis?

If it doesn't improve in a day or so, either take him back in or to a different vet.

Oh, is the ointment antibiotic?

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
Is this a cavy vet that you trust? Did she stain the eye to make her diagnosis?

If it doesn't improve in a day or so, either take him back in or to a different vet.

Oh, is the ointment antibiotic?

Well I do trust my vet and its pretty much better, and yes the ointment is antibiotic safe for piggies

Chuckles

Cavy Slave
Sorry I havent here to message, but Widgey's eye is better and hes much happier :) I'm relieved it was nothing extreme

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.