Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How can I expand my cage?

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
I have a pet store cage but it is just a little under the right size, do you know how I can expand it a cheap way? Btw, I have a pretty big cage for a pet store cage.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
If you can post a picture of it, that would be EXTREMELY helpful.

By the way, how many square feet is it? It needs to be at least 8 square feet for two pigs.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
If you can post a picture of it, that would be EXTREMELY helpful.

By the way, how many square feet is it? It needs to be at least 8 square feet for two pigs.

it is about 8 square feet. Just 1-2 inches short to be exact. I will post a picture soon.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
image.jpgHere it is sorry about picture

Attachments

image.jpg
Last edited:

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
The only way you could expand, that I can think of, is to just make a c&c cage (or get a midwestern) and not use the current cage. Sorry I can't be more help.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Since your cage is pretty tall, I would do something like this. You'll need one box of grids, a sheet of coroplast, and lots of 8" zip ties (thick ones).
The bottom floor can be a kitchen. You'll also have a small storage area under the overhang.
Grids can be overlapped to fit inside the cage frame. I didn't draw the sides for the ramp, but you'll need something to block the pigs from falling off the side. If you make the ramp with wood, you can use cup hooks to attach to the end of the ramp, and hook to the side of your cage.

petstore_cage_expansion4.jpg

petstore_cage_expansion3.jpg

Without coroplast, so you can see the frame.
petstore_cage_expansion.jpg

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
So cool! I will try this soon!!!

purpletulip4u

Cavy Slave
When my daughter and I got guinea pigs, we didn't really have a lot of extra money to spend on grids, so I kept hitting the salvation army, goodwill and other thrift stores..make sure you take something to measure the openings with so they don't get their heads caught in the squares. When I set up their new cage it was so amazing at how happy they were! They popcorned everywhere and we just get so much enjoyment from their happiess! I really suggest a large cage! Our babies are really spoiled!:)
4d5db617d6ef02b3ef7f2fe785b8455e.jpg

0805a5d7270e1e69d4dca12e30f33fc6.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.