Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is petsmart a good place to get Guinea pigs?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3849 Post(s)

Re: Is petsmart a good place to get Guinea pigs?

There's plenty of other documentation for that. It was in all the newspapers, the rescues in North Texas were overwhelmed with the animals from there. Google it if you don't want to take PETA's word for it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Again, never said the info itself was bad in this case. I want to be sure that people who ask questions on this forum are provided with reliable sources of information. PETA- an organization that has been accused of stealing people's pets to euthanize them, intentionally twisting facts and putting them in the wrong context, spreading false info about milk causing autism, and supporting the idea that pit bulls are inherently bad and violent dogs- is not a reliable source in my book.

People who are on this forum to learn deserve to be provided with good source material. That's all I meant.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3849 Post(s)

Stick around. You'll find that no one is recommending unreliable sources.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Oh and also how long will I be a newbie? How are you an administrator?

Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magicpiggie View Post
    I have to disagree, there are some things a vet cannot see. That is why even if the vet says the guinea pigs are okay, you still quarantine.

Where there are pet stores, there are rescues. There will always be people that impulse buy and what happens when they don't want the pigs anymore? They take the pigs to the shelter, and there are always people looking to re home.
    I just wanted to say that I did quarantine them for somewhere between 2 to 3 weeks because it was stressed a lot in the reading that I did before introducing them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    48 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

I didn't try to accuse you of not quarantining. I was just telling @scoottie that you should still quarantine even if the vet says that the pig is not sick because a vet can't get everything.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cavy_Crew View Post
    Oh and also how long will I be a newbie? How are you an administrator?
    You'll be newbie for 30 days from the day you join. Your status will change to Cavy Slave once you reach 30 days, and have more than 10 posts.

Administrators are selected by the owner of the site.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lissie View Post
    You'll be newbie for 30 days from the day you join. Your status will change to Cavy Slave once you reach 30 days, and have more than 10 posts.

Administrators are selected by the owner of the site.
    thanks, so there is cavy newbie, cavy slave, and administrator?

Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/67 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

1. Quote Originally Posted by The_Cavy_Crew View Post

More like Admin, Moderators, Cavy Champions, Cavy Stars, Cavy Slaves, and Cavy Newbies

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I can go on and on I don't want to type everything again so if you want you can check out my 'PETCO email, any tips?' Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cavy_Crew View Post
    See this thread.
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...pes-and-Titles

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CreamCheese View Post
    I can go on and on I don't want to type everything again so if you want you can check out my 'PETCO email, any tips?' Thread
    I read that earlier, pretty good.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

I don't know if there are Pet Supplies Plus where you guys are, but I would just like to say, they have showed me that not all pet stores are bad. They tend to be quite small stores, without a huge variety, but they sell high quality hay, pellets, chews ect. At least where I live, they take very good care of all the animals there. Everytime I've been there, I have talked to the employees, and they seem to know what they're talking about! Every animal there is kept in very clean cages, that always have food and water available. They all seem to be very healthy and happy piggies, fish, birdies ect. The food that they eat is pretty decent quality, and all the employees seem very compassionate about keeping the animals healthy. They are the only petstore that seems to care more about the animals than the amount of customers that walk through the door.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjalred View Post
    I don't know if there are Pet Supplies Plus where you guys are, but I would just like to say, they have showed me that not all pet stores are bad. They tend to be quite small stores, without a huge variety, but they sell high quality hay, pellets, chews ect. At least where I live, they take very good care of all the animals there. Everytime I've been there, I have talked to the employees, and they seem to know what they're talking about! Every animal there is kept in very clean cages, that always have food and water available. They all seem to be very healthy and happy piggies, fish, birdies ect. The food that they eat is pretty decent quality, and all the employees seem very compassionate about keeping the animals healthy. They are the only petstore that seems to care more about the animals than the amount of customers that walk through the door.
    Unfortunately, even if they treat the animals well, the very concept of an ethical petstore is illogical. They likely get the animals from breeding mills, which are horrific, hellish places. Do some research on breeding mills/puppy mills and you'll see what I mean. Even if they get the animals from a private breeder, they are supporting bringing more and more piggies/etc. into the world, while thousands sit in shelters waiting for homes.

So yeah, while it may seem like they're a "good petstore," they're not. If they're selling animals for profit and not adopting them out, they are a fundamentally immoral store.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Hi, the pet stores where I live, seem to also take very good care of their animals. However, have you seen the condition of those animals parents? Where they were bred before arriving into the pet store? You need to look at the puppy mills, or place where the pets were bred in mass quantities. Usually they take the cheaper option when breeding the pets, as their goal is quantity over quality for money. So you could expect to see wire cages, cramped conditions, dirty, etc. Also, back to back pregnancies for most mothers which is bad and uncomfortable for their health.

Also, agreeing with what Kenna18155 said, pet stores shouldn't sell animals. Because there are far too many animals already out there looking for homes. Why do they need to mass breed more for profit? If anything, they should be helping to sell the animals already in shelters. (Actually, the other day I visited the pet store, they did have two shelter pigs there for adoption, so would like to see more of that).

16. "Thank you, Comely Guineas, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

The only truly good petstore is one that only has adoptable animals from shelters and doesnt "sell" any animals

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Yes, I have seen the pet mills, and I find all of them are truly mortifying, who doesn't. I was just trying to point out that at least not all pet stores treat them badly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,571 Rec'd/1,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1160 Post(s)

I don't know if there are Pet Supplies Plus where you guys are, but I would just like to say, they have showed me that not all pet stores are bad.
    Your experience is vastly different from mine. The Pet Supplies Plus in my area is one of the worst pet stores around insofar as the conditions of the cavies and their enclosures. They must hate to see me coming through the door. I invariably complain about the conditions every time I go into the store. Now I simply boycott the store and don't buy from them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Unfortunately some people like me are in a position where there are no rescues in a feasible driving distance. The nearest was a 6 hour drive away. Kudos to all of you who can take the time and effort to do that, but between working full time, family, and other responsibilities I could not. I looked for well over a month on craigslist and facebook for ANYONE rehoming their piggies. It was a futile search. I live in a very rural farming area and as much as it pains me, I'm fairly sure most small animals are on the consumption list rather than the adoption list because, yeah, rednecks and hicks. I by no means condone any of that, I actively protest hunting in my family, but it is simply what it is.

I adopted my dogs and one of my cats from the humane society. I got my other two cats off Craigslist because the lady was going to take them to a very high kill shelter if she couldn't re-home them. I am against puppy mills. I don't buy products tested on animals to the best of my knowledge. However, I am not going to throw my three local pet stores under the bus. My in town store doesn't sell live animals, just merchandise and donates 10% of their profits to the local humane society. The other two are a Petsupermarket and Petsmart in the next town over. That Petsmart takes in ALL the overflow cats from that counties animal shelter and puts them up for adoption, plus donates money to the shelters in the local area, including my own. In my search for guinea pigs, I finally resigned myself to buying them and every weekend I went to get two from Petsmart, they were sold out. Out of the three, Petsupermarket is the worst I guess, but I will say their employees were much more knowledgeable on guinea pigs and the pigs were not in a fish tank, but a large open cage.

It just really irks me, self righteousness. Not every person is in the same boat on this planet. Sometimes you just have to go with whatever options you have available. Is it better to adopt and rescue? Yes. But you know, those piggys being sold didn't ask to be born to a poor mom in a bad situation. They deserve love too. If you can't save a pig, then well, save a pig. Give them a home. Give them a life their mom would be happy for them to have. That's my opinion.

Please adopt yes, but also, don't guilt trip those that did not. Maybe they didn't have options.

Edit - I ended up taking on a friends pigs, btw. But I would have bought.
    Last edited by ficklewinds; 05-13-16 at 07:39 am. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3849 Post(s)

But you know, those piggys being sold didn't ask to be born to a poor mom in a bad situation. They deserve love too. If you can't save a pig, then well, save a pig.
    The problem is, you save one, but you condemn a poor sow to be eternally pregnant to replace the one you bought, and that sow's pups are bred and raised in the same horrible conditions. The minute you buy a pig from a pet store, you become part of that supply-demand chain that perpetuates the abuse.

Guinea pigs aren't a necessity. You don't have to buy one, you don't even have to have one. And I'd rather choose some other pet that isn't part of that breeding/abuse cycle than to buy a pet store guinea pig.

And if you don't think they're not abused, read www.petsmartcruelty.com. Rainbow Exotics is still in business, still supplying places like Petsmart and Petco.

User Tag List