Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Stone Pig Diet Advice

Tschannen14

Cavy Slave
My 2.5 year old male pig, Vincent, has just been diagnosed with a bladder stone. Two years ago, his cage mate also had a bladder stone. We attempted surgery, but he did not fair well post-op and we decided to put him to sleep. I didn't even think to ask for the composition of the stone. After that, I adjusted Vincent's diet to try to prevent him from forming his own stone. Sadly it did not work.

I wanted to post his diet here and seek the advice of those whom have dealt with stone pigs before. He is scheduled for surgery on Monday, and I would like to do my best to prevent another stone and also minimize the chance of stone formation in my other pigs. I understand that bladder stones can run in certain bloodlines/breeds, but I want to do everything I can to help my pigs.

If there is something I can add, remove, or alter in the diet to improve my pigs chances of avoiding stone formation, I am certainly open to any advice.

Hay: Unlimited Oxbow Orchard Grass. Occasionally give Oxbow Timothy, but they tend to favor the Orchard grass.

Pellets: KMS Hayloft Timothy Pellets, 1/8 cup per day

Vegetables: Morning: 2-3 leaves of Endive, Green Leaf, or Red Leaf Lettuce
5-6 sprigs of Cilantro
1 slice of Cucumber

Evening: 2-3 leaves of Endive, Green Leaf, or Red Leaf Lettuce
5-6 sprigs of Cilantro
1/8 of a Green Pepper

Water: Sink Water, changed every 1-2 days, Calcium is 30 mg/L (< 60 mg/L is considered soft water)

Thank you for any suggestions, I really appreciate it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My 2.5 year old male pig, Vincent, has just been diagnosed with a bladder stone. Two years ago, his cage mate also had a bladder stone. We attempted surgery, but he did not fair well post-op and we decided to put him to sleep. I didn't even think to ask for the composition of the stone. After that, I adjusted Vincent's diet to try to prevent him from forming his own stone. Sadly it did not work.

I wanted to post his diet here and seek the advice of those whom have dealt with stone pigs before. He is scheduled for surgery on Monday, and I would like to do my best to prevent another stone and also minimize the chance of stone formation in my other pigs. I understand that bladder stones can run in certain bloodlines/breeds, but I want to do everything I can to help my pigs.

If there is something I can add, remove, or alter in the diet to improve my pigs chances of avoiding stone formation, I am certainly open to any advice.

Hay: Unlimited Oxbow Orchard Grass. Occasionally give Oxbow Timothy, but they tend to favor the Orchard grass.

Pellets: KMS Hayloft Timothy Pellets, 1/8 cup per day

Vegetables: Morning: 2-3 leaves of Endive, Green Leaf, or Red Leaf Lettuce
5-6 sprigs of Cilantro
1 slice of Cucumber

Evening: 2-3 leaves of Endive, Green Leaf, or Red Leaf Lettuce
5-6 sprigs of Cilantro
1/8 of a Green Pepper

Water: Sink Water, changed every 1-2 days, Calcium is 30 mg/L (< 60 mg/L is considered soft water)

Thank you for any suggestions, I really appreciate it.
I never offer tap water. I give them distilled or bottle water that's been purified by reverse osmosis with no added minerals.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Omit the cilantro. It's not high in calcium, but it causes excess urinary calcium in some pigs.

Tschannen14

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advice. Are there any vegetables that are safe to give on a daily basis to replace the cilantro? Would cherry tomato be okay? They seem to be pretty low in calcium.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List. You can find plenty of low calcium veggies on there.
Just avoid romaine lettuce and cilantro even though they're low in calcium. For some reason, some pigs excrete a lot of urinary calcium when eating those. Others don't, and are fine with eating them.

You may not be able to prevent another stone from forming. There's apparently a strong genetic component to stones, and some pigs will develop them no matter how low a calcium diet they're given. Others can eat anything they want with no problems.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Gordon Food services had a nice bag of "heritage lettuce" that Colonel Mustard and Private Paprika are enjoying. It's got a nice variety of low calcium lettuces. It's pretty big but it only lasts my 4 pigs and rabbit a week. I add other low calcium veggies to it along with green pepper to give them variety but that lettuce is our mainstay now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.