Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Dry patches on guinea pig's penis

camicam

Cavy Slave
First Med Thread

Hello,

I noticed when I was doing my guinea pig's boar cleaning that he had a piece of hay in between his foreskin and penis and when I removed it he had dry patches on his penis. He is urinating like normal, eating, and drinking fine. I was wondering what I should do

camicam

Cavy Slave
If he has dry patches, he may have difficulty retracting his penis. I would lubricate it with coconut oil which won't be harmful if he ingests it. You could also use a dab of a water-based lubricant.

Thank you so much!

camicam

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig just ate a plastic jewel from my shirt. He was chewing on it for a long time and swallowed it. He seems okay. I put him back in his cage and he's eating some hay. Will he be okay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Excuse me? You watched your pig chewing a a plastic jewel "for a long time" and you didn't get it out of his mouth?

He may be OK, he may not. But for the record, guinea pigs have very delicate digestive systems, and things like plastic jewels can kill them.

camicam

Cavy Slave
I tried to pull it out of his mouth several times, but I couldn't feel anything or see anything in his mouth, but it looked like he was chewing on something. He normally chews on my shirt so I didn't see it as a big deal until I heard crunching

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Excuse me? You watched your pig chewing a a plastic jewel "for a long time" and you didn't get it out of his mouth?He may be OK, he may not. But for the record, guinea pigs have very delicate digestive systems, and things like plastic jewels can kill them.
(bpatters) You shouldn't be so harsh. I'm sure it was just an accident. Accidents happen. As for what to do about the plastic jewelry, you could get him checked by a vet. He/she could probably tell you if the jewelry will harm your guinea pig.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
watch for signs of sickness, weigh him daily at the same time record water and food. if anything happens you will need to see a Vet ASAP. You can always call into the vet and just ask if you should bring him in. Best of Luck to you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
An accident is when you walk in and find your guinea pig chewing something and quickly get it out of the pig's mouth. Letting a pig chew on something on your shirt "a long time" isn't an accident. It's irresponsible.

camicam

Cavy Slave
An accident is when you walk in and find your guinea pig chewing something and quickly get it out of the pig's mouth. Letting a pig chew on something on your shirt "a long time" isn't an accident. It's irresponsible.

Like I said he always chews on my shirts and it's never a big deal. It's a old shirt so the jewels have been popping off easily. I'm assuming you have guinea pigs and you know how small their mouths are. I tried to get it out, but I couldn't see or feel it in his mouth. I've had him for 4 years and he has never been ill I take great care of him. Everyone pretty much thinks i'm crazy for putting in the amount of effort I do in taking care of him

camicam

Cavy Slave
I am extremely worried about this situation so if your just going to keep being rude then stop commenting

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad you're concerned about it. You should be. And I hope that your pig will be ok. But I also hope that in the future, when your guinea pig is chewing "a long time" on an old shirt that the jewels pop off of easily, you'll move the pig so it can't get to the shirt.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If it was only a small fake gem he should be okay. Just make sure he continues to poop and his poops look normal. If his poops are fine and continue to be fine for the next 48 hours then you will be in the clear as he should have passed the gem by then.

For the future if you have any shirts with gems or glitter then it is best to avoid wearing them while handling animals. My tame birds will try to pull the gems off of shirts so I avoid wearing that kind of shirt altogether when I have them out, and I do the same for all of my other pets with the exception of my dog.

camicam

Cavy Slave
new update. I had to take my guinea pig to the vet around 2 weeks ago, because He had stopped eating, drinking, and pooping. He wasn't moving around very much either. The vet took some xrays, and had them sent off for someone to take a better look. From the xrays she could tell he had so much gas his intestines were being pushed to the side. He also has a infection in his GI tract, and a enlarged liver. She said we could do blood work, but she didn't sound very hopeful. He is almost 7 yrs old, she said with his age he wouldn't survive a operation. I'm just at a lost on what to do. He is eating, drinking, and pooping normally again. I have noticed his eyes have a lot of crusty stuff today, he also threw up a little after he ate hay. it was green.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.