Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Guinea Pig Wishlist

I was wondering if anyone has a Christmas wishlist for their piggies/a list of gifts you're getting them, and what those things are

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Re: Guinea Pig Wishlist

huge veggie meal

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Not a Christmas wishlist (we can't afford to splurge this year), but there are several items on my piggy wishlist, including:

- One more cuddle cup matching my current brown theme
    - More brown-themed fleece
    - New fleece, a hammock, tunnel, two cuddle cups, and small lap-pads matching a new theme (which I haven't decided on yet)
    - Another playpen (which I can use to make my current one twice as large)
    - Cute lights to go around the cage

I also have about a million different items on my cat/dog wishlists, respectively. I'm the type of person that prefers either practical items (i.e. new toaster) OR likes getting money to use to spoil my loved ones (which includes my pets)

Thanks
    Thanks
    678 Rec'd/586 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

@Nazgul, I'm just like you. I prefer practical gifts. One year my husband surprised me with a new Critter Nation cage for my rats. I was so happy that I cried. My co-workers, who weren't rat lovers, thought I was crazy. I much more prefer to have gifts for my pets than myself.

This year my wishlist is for another Cozy Cottage. I'm slowly trying to phase out using pigloos. I also plan to buy some new fleece at Joanne's Black Friday sale. Also on the practical side I need a couple more u-haul pads.

On Christmas day I always give my rats a little of the christmas dinner that they are able to eat. My guinea pigs will get a little extra veggies and a small amount of their favorite fruit.

5. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

This year, I asked my boyfriend for an air purifier and he sarcastically said "well that will be lots of fun to open on Christmas..." but I really think it would be haha! I ask for lots of practical gifts too because they'll be so much more useful for me.
    My pigs get pretty spoiled on holidays because I have a guinea pig Etsy store so I make lots of handmade stuff for them. They will be getting two new liners to fit their new cage expansion with matching pee pads and beds. I'm also making easy little "toys" which basically entails shoving lots of hay and veggies into toilet paper rolls and paper bags.

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post

On Christmas day I always give my rats a little of the christmas dinner that they are able to eat. My guinea pigs will get a little extra veggies and a small amount of their favorite fruit.
    Sorry to get off topic, but what parts of the dinner do the rats get? My pets always get special food in holidays (so any extra big salad for the piggies). I'm a new rat mom and would love to give them little pieces of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, but I'm still figuring out good and bad rat treats.

Thanks
    Thanks
    678 Rec'd/586 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

@Icarus_Hermes, I give my rats a little bit of turkey, a little sweet potatoes and a small amount of cranberries. These foods are only given once a year at christmas and only in small amounts so as to not upset their tummies. During the year I give my rats cooked oatmeal. The home-made kind, not the prepackaged instant kind. They love oatmeal. The one nice thing about rats is that they can eat more of a variety of food than guinea pigs. However, they do have a bit of a sweet tooth so you have to be careful not to give them things that contain much sugar. I never give mine any kind of yogurt drops or any pet store treats. You also would never want to give them any chocolate or foods containing chocolate. The plain Cheerios are another little treat I occasionally give my rats. I like to hide them in their cage and watch them search for them.

Congratulations on acquiring your new rat, or is it new rats? They are wonderful little pets. I've had rats for over 25 years and guinea pigs for 10 years and I wouldn't consider giving up either species. They both have unique personalities.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I just saved up from my last two paychecks and bought my boys a cuddle cup with little matching pads, a cute matching tunnel, a strawberry hidey that's big enough to fit two (really three), and LOTS of nice hay They're so spoiled!

On my wishlist:
    -1 more pack of grids from Bed Bath and Beyond to raise them off the ground and for a playpen
    -More coroplast to make them a kitchen area and ramp

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post

Congratulations on acquiring your new rat, or is it new rats? They are wonderful little pets. I've had rats for over 25 years and guinea pigs for 10 years and I wouldn't consider giving up either species. They both have unique personalities.
    I adopted two male rats. The rats and the pigs are in a competition for laziest boy in the house, . Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try oatmeal. It was a lot easier learning the piggie menu, but it's fun having more choices to try out with the rats.

11. "Thank you, Icarus_Hermes, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    396 Post(s)

@Icarus_Hermes , congRATS as the rat forum people seem to say. I've wanted rats for the longest time. One day.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by katkor03 View Post
    I just saved up from my last two paychecks and bought my boys a cuddle cup with little matching pads, a cute matching tunnel, a strawberry hidey that's big enough to fit two (really three), and LOTS of nice hay They're so spoiled!

On my wishlist:
    -1 more pack of grids from Bed Bath and Beyond to raise them off the ground and for a playpen
    -More coroplast to make them a kitchen area and ramp
    Just get another pack of grids for the playpen. Zip tie them together for the size you need and use binder clips to keep the two ends together. The grids close like and accordion as they fold up, it's much cheaper over a traditional playpen.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I have a question about the rats. When I mentioned adopting a rat my sister told me if it ever got loose, it would go after and kill the guinea pigs. Has anyone had any trouble of their rat(s) going after the guinea pigs?

Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/67 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus_Hermes View Post
    Sorry to get off topic, but what parts of the dinner do the rats get? My pets always get special food in holidays (so any extra big salad for the piggies). I'm a new rat mom and would love to give them little pieces of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, but I'm still figuring out good and bad rat treats.

Some rats can be lactose intolerant so be careful when choses those. Also never feed them Raw Beans, carbonated drinks, raw sweet potato, bleu cheese, raw red cabbage, raw brussel sprouts, raw artichoke, oranges (Males Only could cause kidney cancer I had girls and stayed away completely), green bananas, green potato skin & eyes, rhubarb, raw bulk tofu.

Do remember rats are omnivores so variety can be your best friend mine loved fish, and lean meats rats cannot live on just plant material alone they need animal as well.

http://rattitude.com/articles/inform...athy-rat-diet/

Some stuff to think of for their diet.

Also do you only have one if so I urge you to get another rats are very social animals and need the company of another.

16. "Thank you, scoottie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/67 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    I have a question about the rats. When I mentioned adopting a rat my sister told me if it ever got loose, it would go after and kill the guinea pigs. Has anyone had any trouble of their rat(s) going after the guinea pigs?
    I never had a problem with it I had rats and guinea pigs in the same room and never had a problem even with floor time. Just know its much like guinea pigs and rabbits you don't want them to come in contact with each other in fear one could make the other sick. Rats have a bad respiratory system and anything could set it off.

Thanks
    Thanks
    678 Rec'd/586 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

I've always had female rats and they are very small so I could not imagine them killing my much larger guinea pigs. I've never allowed my pigs and rats to interact. I'm not going to say that it could not absolutely happen but I would find it difficult to believe that a rat on the loose would attempt to kill a guinea pig. I realize that some of the male rats can get very large and it's possible that they could injure or kill a pig. My concerns are more about cats and dogs around a guinea pig. To be on the safe side just make sure your rat enclosure is secure. I've never allowed my rats free run of the house. They've sat on the couch with me and for their playtime my husband made them a large playground with a wire lid so they could run around and still be safely contained.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

My sister seems to think if they happen to get out they will squeeze through the holes on the c&c and kill them. Maybe it will be best to just wait the years until the piggies are gone and then try Rats.

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

In my student house I have guinea pigs and my housemate has a trio of female rats. We of course never allow them to interact or even get close but there will be times when we're bothing hanging out on the couch, me with a pig and her with a rat at the other end and they never seem to notice something else is near and neither animal has shown signs of aggressive behavior. I would say as long as you have a secure rat cage (critter nations are amazing) everything is fine, rats are way more curious than anything.

As for presents for my pigs, every Christmas I buy a small bag of Oxbow botanical hay for them. They absolutely love it so they get to eat it in addition to their orchard grass for a few days during the holiday season!

21. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    678 Rec'd/586 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

@sallyvh, may I ask you what exactly is in the botanical hay? I've seen it on the Oxbow website but I never looked at the ingredients. That sounds like a nice Christmas present for my pigs. My only worry is that I have very picky pigs. All they really like is KMS Bluegrass hay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

@ThePigAlchemist, thank you! Itís been a year in the making, and Iím so happy to finally bring ratties home!

@scoottie, I have two rats. I adopted them from a great rescue: only adopts out pairs/groups, made sure I had the right cage and the right block food, gave me the dangerous food list. But I figure thereís a lot of foods that arenít technically dangerous foods, but I still shouldnít feed them, or at least not often. I didnít know about the possible lactose intolerance, I will pay more attention next time I give them dairy. Iím a vegetarian, but my carnivore mom, who lives a mile away, is saving healthy meat scraps for them, while my dad collects veggie scraps for the piggies, family effort.

@lunarminx,Iím still new, but I have the rat and pig cages at opposite sides of the living room with no worries. The rats have zero interest in the pigs, and Icarus has zero interest in the rats. Osiris is having some jealous issues and demands noms if I pay too much attention to the rat side of the room. But even Osiris is fine when I hold him on the couch next the rat cage. I second @sallyvh, critter nation cages are great, the rats arenít breaking out, plus my male rats, while tiny compared to my cuy pig, are still too big to fit through a C&C hole.

@sallyvh, my pigs have never tried Oxbow botanical hay, but my nearest (pro-adoption) pet store carries it last I checked. Iím tempted, maybe the pigs will get more than a big salad for Christmas.

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

The botanical hay is just Timothy hay with some herns added in (Chamomile, Lavender, Lemon Balm, and Clover). I never even see little pieces of herbs though, it seems like just plain Timothy but it smells really herb-y and good! It can't be a staple in my pigs diet as herbs have a lot of calcium and I have a bladder stone pig, but a couple days a year won't hurt anyone!

User Tag List