Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My guinea pig just died, about an hour ago. The best friend.

Kttvix

Cavy Slave
Several years back I was going through a lot of bad stuff. Bad depression, really bad. All I could think about was killing myself. I've even bought a weapon (in which I shall not say which) to do it. That's how serious it was.

I had no friends, no one there, the days were dark. I was lost, career wise. I didn't know what to do with my life.

But in those days when I needed a friend the most, only one friend was there. My guinea pig. At night when I felt horrible, I'd sit out there in the dark with him, just playing with him. He had the cutest personality and everything about him, I wouldn't change it one bit. He made me feel better. He helped my loneliness.

Today, I am stronger, I am going to school all day in order to make things work. He has helped me get to this point and I will cherish it by living strongly.
I will work hard and make something of myself. His friendship will not go to waste. Once I get everything settled down, I'd love to donate and help animals whenever I can.

In his honor, I won't ever call it quits again. I'll see this life through.

Thank you my best friend.
My beloved friend.

IMG_4398.jpg

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Awww. He's adorable. I'm glad that he helped you get through some of your darkest times and inspired you to keep moving. I hope he will keep inspiring you, even though he is not there physically.

Kttvix

Cavy Slave
I'm about to cremate him at the nearby clinic that seems to have glowing reviews.

I use to sleep next to him until I developed an allergy that slowly got more severe. I could play with him and all, but not for too long.

Now I can't help but get this sudden urge to go change his water and give him food. I know he's not there but I feel like if I don't feed him, he'll truly die.

I thought about getting another guinea pig, but I just couldn't. It wouldn't be fair because every time I'd look at that guinea pig, I'd wish it was him instead.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I am also glad he helped you to fight, to keep going. I personally know that fight myself and caring for my grandson's piggies is one of the reasons I have found to stay here. If for any reason you need a reason to fight again, find a furry critter that needs you again.

Kttvix

Cavy Slave
I wanted a sugar glider, but in California, it seems everything is illegal. As soon as I start to grow some interest in it, I find out we're not allowed to do or get that here.

Well, I just got back from work. Work got my mind off of it a bit.

The cremation costed $120 and it comes with a nice cherry wood container with his name date and so forth laser etched into the front.

The first clinic told me $115, that one was nearby which was better. Got there and they changed their mind and said $200 something. Had to take my pig back and drive to that other place. VCA Animal Hospital. They were nice, kept their price as they said, and the lady there really gave me a calm and caring walkthrough through the whole thing.

I guess he is off to a better place. He was starting to get a bit lethargic and sort of sat around and when it was time, he'd eat and drink and I'd pet him a bit, but it did make me feel a bit sad that he wasn't doing anything. As much as I love him, I don't want him to live like that. I am a lot busier now too. But I'd do anything for him, he was family to me. When I am home, I'd attend to him every hour or so, I gave him A LOT of attention, so at least I'm not regretting that part.

It still hurts like hell, sucks big time, but I feel better. I'll have his alter and picture right next to me so that he'll continue to greet me when I go off to work and come back home from a long day. I feel so lucky to have found him when I did, to think that we could've never met ... but I'm glad we did.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry! I went through the same thing! My Minnie and piper were killed by a pit bull. Worst day of my life! I can understand how you felt and the depression. I struggle with it too. I'm so sorry!!!

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Kttvix....I just want to say, I know it feels like that now! And TRUST me!!!! I KNOW how bad that loss is! Give yourself time!!! Your heart has to heal! It will still hurt, but you will get through it! And eventually you will be able to get a piggy and won't feel like that! I haven't gotten any new ones yet! But I am seriously looking! I couldn't even look at them in a store when I first lost mine! But everyone on here was here for me! They got how bad I felt! And I just want you to embrace the love everyone here has! You at least got closer! I couldn't do any of that with mine! It was hard! But time heals everything. And I know you may not think it now, but you can and will get through this!!! And maybe some day when your ready, you can get another. Just take time to heal your broken heart! And I know that the next one won't be the same, I did the comparing when I added a New Guinea pig. You have to find the good and individual things about that new one!!! It will get better!!!! My prayers are with you! Be strong!!! Take it one day, one moment at a time!!!

Kttvix

Cavy Slave
The sucky thing is, I can't help but shake the feeling of guilt and regret. Like I could've done more in order to save him somehow.

I got his comb and his water bottle and food bowl and am keeping it as a momentum (I think that's the word for it).

I also feel guilty about not crying all the time over it, like "shouldn't I be more sad than this?" ..."Shouldn't I cry more to show my love for him?"

But another side is like "He was there to make me feel better and I'm going to show my appreciation by not feeling horrible about it and say good bye with a smile instead".

I hate thinking too much haha.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
I kept my Minnie's "baby water bottle". It not stupid! You can't help but love! And NO ONE can EVER tell you HOW to grieve!!! I know what your going through! My Minnie saved my life! My husband is abusive. And when we were in his 18 wheeler in Colorado he turned the heat off! Freezing outside! She woke me up in time! She licked away my tears when he beat me! She stopped me from killing myself! And now, I'm without her! For the longest I heard her! Thought I was going crazy! She just was waiting for me to be ok! And she is always with me! No one can EVER replace her! But she showed me unconditional love!!! And that I can't and won't ever forget! So as hard as it is without her here physically, she's with me in spirit! And I'm blessed to have known and loved her!

Kttvix

Cavy Slave
A little overkill on the exclamation mark, but thank you for your kind words.
Best thing about animals is that they don't disrespect you and leave you just because you act different. You can be yourself and not have to put on a show.

Emily Green

Cavy Slave
I'm so so sorry for your loss! Your pig is stunning<3
When I lost Poopsie, I'd had her for 7 years, and she, too, helped me with many rough patches. When I'd be crying, she'd lick my tears.
Guinea pigs are incredibly therapeutic animals with so much compassion for their owners. I'll be thinking about you and sending hugs your way :(

Kttvix

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the kind words Emily. Guinea pigs are neat to me because (all my opinions):
1. They make an assortment of cute sounds.
2. They don't smell as bad as some rodents. I find them quite tolerable.
3. I don't know about you guys but my guinea pig rarely ever chews on stuff he's not suppose to.
4. Decently long lives. I can't stand having a pet that only lives for about a year or two, to go through this again every one or two years....no way.
5. Overall easy to care for.

ANYHOW

I'm here to post a picture of his cremation and alter.

IMG_4835.jpg

I would like to give many thanks to the VCA Bay Area Animal Hospital.
The nurse that assisted me there was extremely kind and patient. The doctor even sent me a note, hand written.
They stuck to their word and I've grown a new appreciation to the place. Thank you.

By the way, the alter is temporarily there just for the picture. His name isn't exactly Mr. Oinkers, I actually create new names for him all the time, playful little names. I even called him Rumblestiltskin (to the name rumpelstiltskin in fairy tales) because he rumbles a lot when he sneaks himself under my hand to be petted.

I felt like I won the lottery by finding him. The only negative was that cutting his nails was a hell of a workout, but other than that, I wouldn't change a single aspect of him and I've told him every day while he was still alive that he did his role completely and outstandingly and I love him from the moment I laid eyes on him. He fits with me perfectly, looks and personality. I have no idea how I'll ever get anything like him again........

So in conclusion, thank you everyone. I hope I see you around!

Last edited:

CoolCavyy

Cavy Slave
Wow, He was adorable.
Sorry for the loss.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Run free little one

Mikey4545

Cavy Gazer
Man - I just lost my Tazzie on March 7th - I feel the same way - I still think here's here and I look for him and miss him so much - I never thought I could love a little guy so much. I went through so much since I got him (originally for my daughter) - false arrests, divorce, and finally my daughter going to college last Sept - throughout it all, Taz was there. Now he's not. I truly know how you feel. Here's a photo of Tazzie !!! IMG158.jpg

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I know this is an old thread, but I saw it got bumped and after reading about your loss and love, i almost cried and wanted to pass on my sympathy to you. I'm so sorry you lost your little boy. They are such special creatures. I never realized how big of an impact my girls would have on my life when I started out. They've helped me get through some rough times recently, with the loss of my best friend and partner in crime mere months before I got pigs. It was so hard, she was a huge part and influence in my life and when she told me we were too different to keep being friends, that her new friends were better... Sigh. I was so sad about it for so long, depressed at times. But my pigs brought a new light into my life. They gave me something else to shed my love on, and distract me from my sadness. I wouldn't trade them for the world. They are like children to me. It is true for me, that animals make better companions than people, because they don't judge, don't decide you're not good enough for them. They just love you unconditionally. They trust you to provide them life.

I would highly recommend you bring more pigs into your life, if you can. I believe having pets is highly beneficial to our overall health, and it's good to have something to pour your love I into. They are just such perfect little animals.

By the way, I LOVE the nickname you gave him, rumblestiltskin. That is so fantastic I'm giggling like a mad woman on the inside. Only because I'm partial to the character of Rumplestiltskin in the tv show Once Upon A Time. (Great show btw, I highly recommend it!) I wish I could use that for my girl Maya, but it just wouldn't fit because she's a girlie.

sweetboy

Cavy Gazer
Im so sorry about your baby i can relate about how lonely life is and i too now have a sick baby and im basicly alone in world to also there is many nights i just cry and dont know where to turn no one is there but im proud of you for making committed to your baby stay strong for him
Call me if need 9529233507
Maybe we can be there for each other
Soo sorry about your little baby

sweetboy

Cavy Gazer
So sorry i too have really nobody and these little babies do help us keep going sorry i think ut was wonderful that you made a commitment to your baby to keep going please call me 9529233507 maybe i can help you through this process my name is kate so sorry just noticed 4 months ago how you holding up

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.