Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Keeping Piggies cool this summer?

Rybo5000

Cavy Slave
I'm going away for a month and my mother-in-law will be taking care of my girls.

I'd like to give her some tips on keeping them cool as they live in a hotter part of Australia and my girls are used to cold Melbourne rain every day!

I'm going to suggest frozen fruit, putting cold towels on top of cage etc. Anything else good?

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Putting ceramic tiles in their cage for them to lie on, and putting in frozen plastic water bottles for them to lie next to. They might not eat frozen fruit, but lots of wet lettuce and cucumber will help keep their water intake high enough. Make sure there is always enough water in their bottles; maybe have 2 bottles in case one gets blocked. Also keep them in a room where it is a comfortable temperature (air con, sea breeze through the windows etc) - if it feels too hot for you, it is too hot for them.

It’s really hot over here in Perth at the moment too - 30 degrees Celsius and it’s 5 in the afternoon! Our house somehow manages to stay fairly cool inside though, thankfully 😅

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Making sure they're in the coolest room of the house (if possible) and having a fan on to circulate the air (not directly on them). I'm also from Australia

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
You can freeze water bottles and then wrap them in fleece and pop those in their cage. They'll be cool for the summer!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Bend to grids and make a tunnel, you can cover them with fleece or another cloth and lay frozen water bottles or ice packs on top, the cold air drops down on top of them. I normally keep enough to have 3 changes a day.

100_0715.jpg100_0678.jpg

Rybo5000

Cavy Slave
Hi lunarminx; just wondering will the guinea pigs chew those ice packs and if they do is that okay? My girls like to knock things off the top of their boxes and nibble them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.