Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Unhappy Bad news all around.

I'm so sad today. The little girl I was going to adopt in January died. Her owner said that a friend's dog got in the house and attacked her and that she didn't make it :'( I've been keeping up with her for a month now, and getting ready for her.

Worse, I tried to do floor time for the first time (new owner) and it failed miserably. Both piggies ended up being scared out of their minds after they knocked over the gate keeping them from going down the stairs and me freaking out and trying to corral them to the closed door where I could pick them up.

Very sad today.

Thanks
    Thanks
    658 Rec'd/566 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Re: Bad news all around.

I'm so sorry about that little piggy. It just breaks my heart when I read stories of dogs attacking guinea pigs. It's just such a preventable accident. Our guinea pigs depend on us to protect them. May that little girl rest in peace.

I'm also sorry that your first attempt at floortime went so bad. My four older pigs have never really enjoyed floortime. Even my two youngest pigs aren't really all that crazy about it. They mainly just walk around a little bit and then they go into their hidey and sleep. I started out giving them floortime two to three times a week. Now I'm down to once weekly because I think I enjoy it more than they do. They all have big cages so I feel that is sufficient for them to get their exercise. Hopefully your next time will be more successful.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Don't feel too bad, my first attempt at floortime didn't go too well either. My girls really wanted to go under the couch, and under the heater...since I have laminate floors I found out that if I put out a big piece of fleece they will generally stay on it, and ever since I have done for time in the bathroom where I can close the door.

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

That's sad about the little piggie. Many piggies don't enjoy being in a wide open space (you never know, your house may have birds of prey flying around, ). When mine were new and scared I would drape a towel over part of their play pen. They were much more active during floor time after that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I think I'll try a mix of in the bathroom and with a towel! Thank you for the sympathy on the little piggy as well.

User Tag List