Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We will love you forever Knock Knock

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I lost my old man Knock Knock last night sometime, he was 6 1/2 years old. We have just spent a month doing weekly mite treatments on him, out of the 6 pigs, he was the only one to show major symptoms,all were treated though. Thought he had gotten a secondary infection but his flaming red skin cleared up, his scratches started healing really well. I even started rubbing warm coconut oil on all the bald areas and the cuts, he loved it so much, I just started doing massages on him. He had one cataract and another started in his other eye. I guess he started having these problems because he was wearing down but when it came to veggie time morning and evening, he was climbing the grids and wheeking. He is going to be missed so much, he was so sweet. Three days ago, I was giving him a warm coconut oil massage(he loved them, yes he stayed greasy)was just ran around the living room for a bit afterwards, even going up to sniff the cats if they were in the room. Now he is with his brother Who's There, nibbling grass over the rainbow bridge.

The first day we adopted him 2 years ago, he was a big boy.
100_0431.jpg

Taking a break from the rowdy crew.
100_0465.jpg

His beautiful dewlap.
100_0492.jpg

And now showing his age but with the ladies, the size he has slowly lost over 2 years is amazing, I guess going from a cage at the shelter to a c&c made some of that difference and some was a slow loss with old age.
100_0818.jpg

Edited to add the original introduction photo, I had four beautiful black piggies :)

100_0448.jpg

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss, such a cutie. :(

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm really sorry for your loss, [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION]. He was a lucky guy to have lived in your household.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Thanks Pinky, I really thought he was doing so much better, I don't know what happened. As I said his scratches were healing, fuzz was coming back, he decided he loved his massages. He did sleep a lot but my 12 year old dog does too. Come veggie time he was at the side of the cage wheeking even at dinner last night. I am so glad I adopted him and his brother, the shelter was no kill, so they would have kept them until they died. He had over two years with us and dealt with all my crazy cage changes, he brother was put down last year. I still have 5 piggies and when the herd thins more, I do plan to adopt again and I really enjoy the older ones, the are much calmer and sweet. I remember when I first put Candy with him(he was adopted neutered), she loved him, was grooming him so much. I really like mixed pairs now. Knock Knock and Who's There were a house hold favorite.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks Pinky, I really thought he was doing so much better, I don't know what happened. As I said his scratches were healing, fuzz was coming back, he decided he loved his massages. He did sleep a lot but my 12 year old dog does too. Come veggie time he was at the side of the cage wheeking even at dinner last night. I am so glad I adopted him and his brother, the shelter was no kill, so they would have kept them until they died. He had over two years with us and dealt with all my crazy cage changes, he brother was put down last year. I still have 5 piggies and when the herd thins more, I do plan to adopt again and I really enjoy the older ones, the are much calmer and sweet. I remember when I first put Candy with him(he was adopted neutered), she loved him, was grooming him so much. I really like mixed pairs now. Knock Knock and Who's There were a house hold favorite.

I've seen that happen with some of the guinea pigs I've lost, too. In fact, I think it's common for animals and humans to get a burst of energy before they pass. My Wolfbane was very sick before she died. Then, one day she totally perked up and was running around end eating but the next day she took a nose dive. My vet said that's common in animals but it does sort of give us false hope.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.