Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Started using Fleece/Uhaul, but smells. Can anyone help?

Jenifer Ann

Cavy Gazer
I started using fleece 3 days ago and the whole room smells, any advice would be welcome.

I have two boars, 4x2 enclosure, and I bought 100% poly fleece.
I have two layers of u-haul inside the fleece layers and washed the fleece 3 times and the u-haul once prior to making the bedding.
Is there something I have done wrong?

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I use fleece flippers. Same concept as you. One layer of fleece over 2 layers of u-haul padding. I also have a kitchen/litter box and this is where they do most of their business. I have 3 sows who are about 3 months old in a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft and I have no smell. I'm guessing the smell is the urine in the u- haul. You could try a kitchen/litter box or find out where they are peeing and place pee pads( smaller pieces of fleece with a double layer of u- haul sewn in between) and change those out every couple of days.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x6 c&c for my two boars. I use one layer of fleece and 2-3 layers of towels. I have very little smell. I sweep the poops 2 times a day and change it once a week. Not sure if this helps at all, I've never tried u-haul.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I have 2 layers of uhaul pads + fleece on top and bottom. 2 sows in a 2x4 cage. I have an extra pee pad in the hay area and in their beds. No smell. I wash the fleece every 3/4 days. Just because I don't want it to be too wet or dirty with hay.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I started using fleece 3 days ago and the whole room smells, any advice would be welcome.

I have two boars, 4x2 enclosure, and I bought 100% poly fleece.
I have two layers of u-haul inside the fleece layers and washed the fleece 3 times and the u-haul once prior to making the bedding.
Is there something I have done wrong?
How often are you removing poop? Is there wet hay in the cage? They could be scent marking.

Did you test the fleece if it's allowing urine to go through to the uhaul layer?

Last edited:

Jenifer Ann

Cavy Gazer
How often are you removing poop? Is there wet hay in the cage? They could be scent marking.

I work from home so I remove poop 3+ times a day and there isn't any wet hay. I read that might be the cause in other threads, but it isn't mine here so I am perplexed! :confused:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Does it smell like something rotten? If it is, it's them scent marking the cage.

If it smells like urine, check if the fleece is wicking. If it's wicking, then it might just mean your boys are peeing a lot. You'll have to replace the fleece and uhaul more often.

Jenifer Ann

Cavy Gazer
Does it smell like something rotten? If it is, it's them scent marking the cage.

If it smells like urine, check if the fleece is wicking. If it's wicking, then it might just mean your boys are peeing a lot. You'll have to replace the fleece and uhaul more often.

It actually smells a little of both, but I think I may have figured it out, I leaned over and smelled all over the cage (gross, but oh well) LOL Their litter pan was the strongest area, even though I just cleaned it out last night...I will just have to change it daily and may need to find the best filling for that. Any litter pan filling suggestions?

Jenifer Ann

Cavy Gazer

I know this is outside of the subject, but how do you get that profile pic that changes images, I have one that changes from both my guinea pigs, but it doesn't allow me to upload or use the link, are we not allowed?

lissie

Cavy Slave
It actually smells a little of both, but I think I may have figured it out, I leaned over and smelled all over the cage (gross, but oh well) LOL Their litter pan was the strongest area, even though I just cleaned it out last night...I will just have to change it daily and may need to find the best filling for that. Any litter pan filling suggestions?

What are you using in the litter pan? Try wood pellets. It's the best at odor control. I've been using it under fleece, it works much better than uhaul pads. It will work for the litter pan too.
See this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107419-3-full-weeks-of-wood-pellets

I know this is outside of the subject, but how do you get that profile pic that changes images, I have one that changes from both my guinea pigs, but it doesn't allow me to upload or use the link, are we not allowed?

Only paid members, moderators, and admins can use animated avatar. See this thread for different types of members.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/18292-Membership-Types-and-Titles

Jenifer Ann

Cavy Gazer
What are you using in the litter pan? Try wood pellets. It's the best at odor control. I've been using it under fleece, it works much better than uhaul pads. It will work for the litter pan too.
See this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107419-3-full-weeks-of-wood-pellets

Only paid members, moderators, and admins can use animated avatar. See this thread for different types of members.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/18292-Membership-Types-and-Titles

OK, thank you for all the information!

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're very welcome!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I also just started using fleece and U-Haul liners (fleece, 1 U-Haul, fleece - all sewn together). I've been changing it twice a week and the odor is not too bad, but admittedly gets a little stinky by day 4.

I have a divided cage. I noticed that the girls section gets stinky much quicker. They pee and poo all over the place. My boy Randy however, is a neat pig! He does most of his business in his walk-in hay bin or his litter pan, both of which have Yesterday's News with a light layer of hay on top. This works well for keeping odors down - I usually change it out just once a week. I actually just today added a walk-in litter box for the girls, which has their hayrack in it. I'm hoping that if they will do at least half their business in there, it may cut down on the stinky-ness of their fleece.
@lissie I like your idea of using wood pellets in the litter pan/kitchen. That would be WAY cheaper than Yesterday's News.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.