Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

fighting piggies

ynkydodle3

Cavy Slave
hello gang
i have two pigs that fight now anytime they are together. i had a major problem one morning as i found one of my piggies had bitten the other one in the ear and and took out two huge chunks. Up untill that night they had never had a fight but while we were sleeping they had a big one. The next morning they both had little scratches on them from the fight. Mousie had two chunks missing from his ear and is ok now and healing fine. Since that has happend they are seperated. I have tried puting them together durring floor time and such but they go straight to fighting. Should I try bathing them together i have heard this works and was wondering if i should do this? Not sure what to do but i would like to try and find a way to have peace in the cage again. There are three piggies in the cage Mousie about 3 months old. Dougie is about 2 months old and Mookie is 4 years old. The younger ones both get along with Mookie just fine. Mousie and Dougie are the ones having problems. I have Mousie and Mookie together now and Dougie is by himself. Is there any way to bring them all back together?

C&K

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear about your sparring boars.
What size cage do you have them in when they are together?
Also, it is possibly just the start of a long hormonal trip for them, since they are so close in age. They are 3 months and 2 months right? Sometimes two baby boars will get along great, but with adolesence, all H*** breaks loose! They may work it out, I would try buddy bath and slow introductions over the next few weeks. Try to only intervine (sp?) if blood is drawn again. It may just be that they are both very dominant, and neither wants to back down.

Hopefully you will get losts of advice on this!

tinkerbell

Cavy Slave
mine used to do the same thing- but no blood was every shed and they still sometimes do now.I think that they both wanted to be "the man " of there batchlor pad.

I hope that you get more help then what I can offer and maybe make your cage bigger at LEAST a 2x4 mininmun- never less! if you can't go out then start going up, build another level.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
First, I trust you have a spacious C&C cage. If not, and they are being housed in a petstore cage, therein lies your problem. Not enough space. If you have a C&C (at least 2x4, better yet a 2x5) then follow the instructions below.

I don't recommend slow introductions. It's more stressful by doing it slowly. Give them a good buddy bath and remove all scents. Bathe all three together at once. Clean the cage thoroughly, wash everything to remove all scents and after they have been bathed and dried, introduce them in the very clean cage.

2 and 3 months are too young for piggie puberty but I am thinking they are arguing over who will be 2nd in command in the cage and both may want to be dominant and neither are willing to back down.

ynkydodle3

Cavy Slave
The cage that I kept all three piggies in is not a C&C cage but size wise it is 2x5. I would love to be able to build them a C&C cage but living here in germany has possed a problem as we can not find the grids or chloroplast anywhere. I had a feeling the there young age would have a role into there fighting. Gonna try the buddy bath and see how that goes. I hope i can bring some peace back to the cage very soon. Thank you for the tips.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Talk to Teria, she is from Germany and she might be able to help you find grids if you want to build a C&C. I am glad to know that you have an alternative cage the size of a 2x5 C&C.

ynkydodle3

Cavy Slave
Well since it seems everyone uses C&C cages i just went with those kinds of measurements. and im glad i did it was so much easier than building a cage and then rebuilding or adding to it to find out what sizes worked. when we move into our new place next year i will be building a supper cage for the piggies. it will be nice once we have a place with room for a bigger cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.