Thanks
    Thanks
    232 Rec'd/199 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

Alfalfa pellets for adults?

I know alfalfa is not ideal and I have always fed Timothy pellets but I recently made a HUGE mistake and accidentally clicked on 50lbs of alfalfa pellets rather than Timothy. The bag was around $70 including shipping. They don't refund shipping prices so it's not worth it to refund.

I talked with the owner and she was saying there wasn't much more calcium in the alfalfa pellets and she's known people who fed their piggies only alfalfa pellets and they lived or are living a long, healthy life.

However since it does have more calcium, I was obviously thinking feeding less than the 1/4 cup each. If I did this... Would it be alright to use it?

If you're all like NO WAY then I guess I could just give it to my neighbors and eat the $70, they have horses... Alfalfa pellets are good for horses right?

Thanks
    Thanks
    48 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Re: Alfalfa pellets for adults?

Hmmm... too much calcium can cause stones... And alfalfa does have more calcium than timothy... I don't know.

Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

If it were me and my pigs had no history of stones or sludge then I'd do the following:
    -buy timothy pellets
    -feed a 50/50 combo of timothy and alfalfa pellets
    -take them 100% off any veges with high or moderate calcium

Not sure if the piggies would like the mixed up pellets, but I suspect it would work with mine. Anyway, that's what I'd do to get some use out of the pellets if you were determined to use them because of the cost. Otherwise, I'd donate them to a rescue.

4. "Thank you, poop_patrol, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

From what I'm reading, please correct me if I'm wrong, you feed your pigs 1/4 cup a day of pellets. (Again correct me if I misunderstood). And you should be feeding them 1/8 cup a day.

Thanks
    Thanks
    232 Rec'd/199 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

@poop_patrol Yes that's what I was thinking, I'll give half of it to my neighbors and try and use the other half with the 50/50 combo... Maybe even give away more than half... It's a lot of pellets. Haha I don't know what I was thinking buying 50lbs of pellets to begin with!
    @Nannub I noticed that after I posted, it was too late to edit it though. Lol I do give them 1/8, no worries!

User Tag List