Thread: 6 month old flips around when pet (not popcorning)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

6 month old flips around when pet (not popcorning)

My piggy Cal has unknown leg injuries, which I have gone to a vet for before. My vet said he may have been injured before I got him, but he still gets around fine and he doesn't seem to be in pain, although he tends to hop around his cage when he runs laps. However, lately I noticed that when I pet him on his lower back he flips to his side really quickly and twitches while making either whiny or pained noises. He does this often, and I've been petting him in that spot for a while and he's never done this before. I know he likes it, because he usually purrs and stretches out his back legs (one time, he even yawned!). I've seen him popcorn before, but he has never made his complaining noise when he popcorns, and he usually popcorns when he thinks I'm not looking, so it doesn't make sense that he would popcorn while on my lap. He is eating, drinking, pooping, and playing fine, but I have also noticed his cognitive abilities are somewhat lacking. He has a hard time recognizing the different food sounds still, and it took my other three pigs a month or less to know the differences between a food bag and just a regular grocery bag rustling. Is it possible he may have a developmental disability? He doesn't seem to be hindered with his daily life, and I doubt he has any skin conditions because he isn't scratching at his rear or losing any hair outside of the normal realm. One other thing worth mentioning is he's still pretty small. He's an American Short-hair, and he's a boy, so from what I know he should be bigger than he is at 6 months. I haven't weighed him, but his physical size is very small and "noodly". He just goes like a limp noodle when he's picked up, and he's long and thin.

Even though he is otherwise okay, is this possibly a sign of a neurological disorder, such as a tumor or injury? He's still pretty young so if he needs any surgery to be done I'd rather have it done now when he has a better chance to recover, but again, he's otherwise okay (aside from being disabled). I may just be overreacting, but I'm not very well-versed with guinea pig injuries.

2. "Thank you, gpigsrock, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: 6 month old flips around when pet (not popcorning)

I am new here and I don't know a lot. I know the people here say guinea pigs can be affected by genetic issues, that's why this site doesn't support breeding. My little girl Frankie is much smaller than her brother, BJ and they are 3 months old. I included this link which has a truckload of info on medical stuff. http://www.guinealynx.info/sitemap.html I tend to worry about my piggies a lot. I love them and adore them. Just want them to be happy and healthy. I hope my support helps!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As an update, he still does the twitchy motions when I hold him, and I'm thinking it may be a seizure. He's still going through life fine and seems pretty happy, but I've noticed that when he gets near my female enclosure (such as walking by their cage while holding him) he'll do a bit of rumblestrutting in my lap and then fall on his side and make jerking motions. His eyes sort of roll back and he goes through spasms, and it really does look like a seizure since he doesn't have any control for a few seconds and his body contorts while he makes upset squeaks. Afterwards he is very anxious, and he tries VERY HARD to get out of my lap to be with the females, and this can be with very little time around them to get "excited". The girls are in their own cage, and I'm not letting them even see each other, but he still tries to get to them. Is it normal for male guinea pigs to be completely uninhibited in the presence of females? He doesn't always have spasms when he knows they're nearby, so I don't think it's normal behaviour, even for him. When he's normally excited it takes him a few minutes to get to the point where he frantically tries to near them, but after having spasms it's like he goes from 0 to 60 and his eyes are wide.

I've made sure that he doesn't hurt himself when he does this, but with how he moves I feel like he still may get hurt. I don't know why this happens but I heavily suspect it is related to the rumblestrutting, even though it doesn't always happen when he rumblestruts. Does this sound like a seizure or is it strictly a frantic mating thing, and should I be worried about this?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3799 Post(s)

He could have some sort of neurological problem that causes the seizures when he gets excited. I don't think it's frantic mating thing.

My recommendation would be to watch him carefully and chart his behavior. Does he do it when he's away from the female? Only in the presence of the females?

If the sows are the ones setting him off, then moving his cage as far away from them as possible might help.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He sometimes does it when he's away from the females, but it's not very often at all, and it's only when he's super excited to see me. I've seen him do this at least three times while being near females, but luckily his cage is far enough away from them that it doesn't happen in his cage. I think it may have to do with excitement, and the females just happen to make him excited, being a now 8 month old hormonal nightmare.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3799 Post(s)

I agree. It's probably from the excitement, and that points to something neurological. I wouldn't worry about it, and I doubt that there's anything at all that can be done about it. Just keep him happy and calm, and as far from the ladies as you can!

8. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I'll do my best! It's a bit of a bummer since I was originally planning on neutering him and introducing him to the herd, but if he has seizures from seeing the ladies that would be an issue. He's not dominant at all and my alpha (Velvet) can be very bossy; he wouldn't fare well having seizures around her!

User Tag List