Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Moechi's Medical Thread

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
I got her on 10/1/15 and she is (Maybe?) 5 months old. got her from a pet store (BEFORE YOU POST HATE COMMENTS, NOTE THAT: I didn't know that guineas were in shelters, and if i had known where petshops got there guineas i would have NEVER bought one, I Would have adopted (I Didnt know they had guinea shelters). I am TRULY sorry. i will NEVER Buy again, from now on i will ADOPT. I just wish i had known :( sorry)

Anyways.. yesterday she weighed 15oz-1lb (Scale was moving back and forth so im not sure)
But today she weighed 14oz. ALSO her bedding was stuck to her foot and i noticed there was Blood/RED pee (Dont know which but looked like blood) She acts fine but.. im not sure. Would you please help me?

ALSO i saw a page about guineas. it was where i realised guineas in shelters, petstores are bad, and such.
But it also said alot of times guineas from stores end up PREGNANT. I'm not sure is she sick? pregnant? Please i need your help. I'm SOOO worried.

Sincerely: PiggleHugger.

PS: Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread. (Imma NEWBIE)

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Re: Weight loss, and Blood/Red pee?

No one is going to post hate comments for not knowing that there was another option I guarantee that some of the people who have been on here for a while have petstore piggies.

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave

No one is going to post hate comments for not knowing that there was another option I guarantee that some of the people who have been on here for a while have petstore piggies.

scoottie

Cavy Slave

Young guinea pigs pee will look orangeish red and pee that has been there for a while will turn that color.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave

If she has bloody pee it could me a urinary tract infection or bladder stones, especially if she is squeaking while peeing. If the bee is slightly brown, pee naturally Browns after just sitting there. Your best bet would be to take her to the vet.

piggy.addict

Cavy Slave

If she has bloody pee it could me a urinary tract infection or bladder stones, especially if she is squeaking while peeing. If the bee is slightly brown, pee naturally Browns after just sitting there. Your best bet would be to take her to the vet.
I agree it could be a tract infection or kidney stones. Its best if you take her to the vet if this continues. If you notice her squeaking while peeing take her right away

pinky

Cavy Slave

At such a young age, I'd be surprised if it was a stone, but you never know. Either way, if it is a urinary tract infection, I'm sure she'd be in pain because a URI is painful. I'd find something white like an old T shirt that you can put her on in a box or laundry basket to get a good look at the color of her urine. If it is, red, I'd get her checked by an exotic vet as soon as possible.

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave

I got her on 10/1/15 and she is (Maybe?) 5 months old. got her from a pet store (BEFORE YOU POST HATE COMMENTS, NOTE THAT: I didn't know that guineas were in shelters, and if i had known where petshops got there guineas i would have NEVER bought one, I Would have adopted (I Didnt know they had guinea shelters). I am TRULY sorry. i will NEVER Buy again, from now on i will ADOPT. I just wish i had known :( sorry)

Anyways.. yesterday she weighed 15oz-1lb (Scale was moving back and forth so im not sure)
But today she weighed 14oz. ALSO her bedding was stuck to her foot and i noticed there was Blood/RED pee (Dont know which but looked like blood) She acts fine but.. im not sure. Would you please help me?

ALSO i saw a page about guineas. it was where i realised guineas in shelters, petstores are bad, and such.
But it also said alot of times guineas from stores end up PREGNANT. I'm not sure is she sick? pregnant? Please i need your help. I'm SOOO worried.

Sincerely: PiggleHugger.

PS: Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread. (Imma NEWBIE)

UPDATE: I weighed her today and now she weighs 13oz!! And she has liquidy diarrhea, she doesn't seem to be eating. And she's been like puffing her coat up or something?!?! Also I WANT to take her to the vet but.. I'm just a kiddo. And my mom cannot afford to bring her to the vet.. :(

piggy.addict

Cavy Slave

Try to syringe feed her for a while. Tall to your mom about how important it is to take her to the vet. If she shows no recovery, try your best to take her

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave

UPDATE: I weighed her today and now she weighs 13oz!! And she has liquidy diarrhea, she doesn't seem to be eating. And she's been like puffing her coat up or something?!?! Also I WANT to take her to the vet but.. I'm just a kiddo. And my mom cannot afford to bring her to the vet.. :(

UPDATE:
Thanks everyone for your help! She's now putting on weight. Eating, she's no longer puffing her coat up, and there's no more blood/red pee :D

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave

Only if they're refugees! Since you are a newbie, you probably should be made aware that guineas are a type of fowl........as in chicken. Or else a slang word for Italian-Americans. Guinea pigs are called cavies (plural) which is pronounced kaa-vees.

Yeah know. I just prefer to call them guineas. Plus this is a cavy forum so people should know what I mean by "guineas" :p

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
Update: *Again*. A few months ago I adopted 3 new cavies. Two boys, and a girl (their separate). And anyways the girl was put with my first girl; Moechi. And the two boys were kept together. Well anyways one of the males died, and I was hoping to get the remaining boy a friend soon but.. Apparently, whilst I was away 6 weeks ago. And my mom was taking care of my piggies. My mom put my oldest girl Moechi, with my male, Oswald.. She thought that Oswald was a female. I just recently found out. When my mom asked my why I had them separate, I told her that he was separate because it's a male and the others are females. Then she freaked out saying she put Moechi and Oswald together to play! It's terrible! But luckily my other female wasn't with them too.. I told her when we adopted them that he was a male and he CANNOT be with the females. But I guess she forgot.. So now I possibly have a pregnant pig on my hands.. I'm not sure if these are symptoms of pregnancy, but here the are: She looks kinda big (not huge, but noticeably bigger). She does not like me touching he stomach. But when I do she kinda lays down. Her stomach feels kind of tight. when she stretches part of her stomach is big while she is skinny.
I've been giving her tons of veggies and I switched to alfalfa based pellets (no nuts, or colored bits). The other pigs are young so the food should be okay for them. I'm excited, but I'm worried.. Hoping she isn't pregnant, but if she is. I will give a male to my friend who has an elder male (his 3 brothers died already). I will keep a male for my male. And I will keep the rest of the Babies. So like I said: I hope she isn't pregnant, but if she is. I have a plan and none will go to shelters/inexperienced homes.

Do you thinks she may be pregnant? I tried to take a picture but it doesn't show how big she is. Will try to get a pic in the morning.

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
Btw: I saw the "one thread per pig" post so I just updated instead of making a new thread

Soecara

Cavy Slave
How long was Oswald with Moechi? Females only go into heat for one day every two weeks, so if she was only exposed to him once for a few hours to "play" there is a chance she may not have been in heat. However there is no way to tell if she was or wasn't in heat now, all you can do is wait. Time will tell for certain one way or the other.

Do keep in mind that if she is pregnant that you should definitely have the contact information for a cavy-savvy emergency vet, given her age and the fact that it is unlikely she has been pregnant before she is at a higher risk of experiencing dystocia when delivering pups.

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
How long was Oswald with Moechi? Females only go into heat for one day every two weeks, so if she was only exposed to him once for a few hours to "play" there is a chance she may not have been in heat. However there is no way to tell if she was or wasn't in heat now, all you can do is wait. Time will tell for certain one way or the other.

Do keep in mind that if she is pregnant that you should definitely have the contact information for a cavy-savvy emergency vet, given her age and the fact that it is unlikely she has been pregnant before she is at a higher risk of experiencing dystocia when delivering pups.

Okay, I Talked with my mom.. Apparently she saw them "Doing the deed". She just thought it was humping; Dominance realated.. Also Moechi, Luckily isn't an "Older sow" I just said that because she was my first sow. She is about 7-8 months. I'm just freaking out about the whole situation

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I estimated her age to be around there from your original post which said she was estimated to be around 5 months old last november. If she is 7-8 months old now that would put her around 9-11 months old when she would be due if she is pregnant, which can be a problem. Sows over 8 months experience stiffening of the symphysis if they have not birthed before, it probably won't be an issue but it is something you should keep in mind.

I would still recommend you have the contact info for an emergency cavy-savvy vet in your area, as there are other possible birthing complications where vet intervention could save her life (such as a prolapse, retained placenta etc.). There is a good chance she will have a normal healthy pregnancy and birth, but having an emergency plan for the worst case scenario ahead of time never hurts.

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
I estimated her age to be around there from your original post which said she was estimated to be around 5 months old last november. If she is 7-8 months old now that would put her around 9-11 months old when she would be due if she is pregnant, which can be a problem. Sows over 8 months experience stiffening of the symphysis if they have not birthed before, it probably won't be an issue but it is something you should keep in mind.

I would still recommend you have the contact info for an emergency cavy-savvy vet in your area, as there are other possible birthing complications where vet intervention could save her life (such as a prolapse, retained placenta etc.). There is a good chance she will have a normal healthy pregnancy and birth, but having an emergency plan for the worst case scenario ahead of time never hurts.
Thanks for the help! I will try to locate a cavy-savvy emergency vet, like you suggested. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to have the extra worry of stiffening.. But apparently I do. I thought if she was pregnant, The bone wouldn't stiffen. So thanks for informing me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry too much about the 9-11 month age. The ligaments won't stiffen immediately at that time -- it's a process that takes a little time, and can vary with the guinea pig.

PiggleHugger

Cavy Slave
Okay I managed to get a picture that kind of shows her size. image.jpgaltough she's bigger than it shows

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.