Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Poop Problems!!!

• Thread starter purplepenguin22
  • Start date

purplepenguin22

Cavy Slave
I have two female pigs they poop a lot, they wreak their cage up. I have tried everything litter pans, fleece, paper bedding everything. The bedding is SUPER EXPENSIVE . I don't take them out much because they poop and pee all over our laps. we might get rid of them any advice???

scoottie

Cavy Slave
How long have you had them?

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
how big is the cage? guinea pigs pop a lot its true but small cages make it look like a ton more and need more cleaning.
have you tried wood pellets under fleece? ive seen someone go 3 weeks with the wood pellets and weekly fleece changes (although that was if i remember correctly a 2x6 c&c cage)
are you spot cleaning daily? if not that will help a lot...

purplepenguin22

Cavy Slave
I am spot cleaning daily my cage is 2x4 c and c I heard wood was not good for piggies I have had my guinea pigs for about 8 months they are 2 years old

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107419-3-full-weeks-of-wood-pellets

read through that and see what you think it will save money on bedding though you will still need to do daily spot cleaning on the fleece and change the wash the fleece as often as needed.

I am using aspen wood shavings if you are using wood you need to make sure its klin-dried and doesnt have a strong smell. (pine is one you have to worry about)
but these pellets are fine to use I know a ton of people use them on here and you can buy them for under 10 dollars (correct me if im wrong) in a huge bag.

purplepenguin22

Cavy Slave
where do you get wood pellets

Last edited:

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
the poop isnt going to hurt you when you take them out for lap time put a old towel down on your lap, any poop on it shake it out into the trash can. and when they have floor time just sweep after and mop

purplepenguin22

Cavy Slave
any alternative to fleece? we tried fleece and it clogged our laundry machine with hair

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
I dont use fleece due to my washing machine being broken and im not willing to handwash it. but maybe someone else can answer that im sure there has to be other fabrics that are use able. but if not would bringing it to a laundry place work? (2.00-4.00 a week to wash and dry it doesnt seem like much compared to buying bedding like carefresh)

I believe you can buy pellets at most farm animal supply stores (not sure what they are called) or places like home depot (they use it for wood pellet stoves but you have to make sure it has no additives to help it burn... check the link i posted they talk about it in there)

purplepenguin22

Cavy Slave
so should I just use wood pellets

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
i would give it a try before you re-home but make sure to read through that link because you are the one who will be using it.
but try everything you can before deciding to give up your guinea pigs, because it seems like a problem you can work around. another thought is maybe getting one of those lint rollers that you use to get dog/cat hair or lint off your clothes and try to remove the hair before washing the fleece

purplepenguin22

Cavy Slave
any litter box training tips??

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I use fleece flippers with a kitchen/litter box filled with wood pellets. My piggies do most of their business in the kitchen/ litter box. Daily I scoop out the soiled pellets and add a few new ones to replace the soiled ones. My girls will also poo in there snuggle sacs and fleece tubes. I dump them into bag with the soiled litter. I sweep up any poos and hay off the flippers then vacuum. About the hair. Because the flippers are small they are easy to work with. I use a hand held broom and sweep them and all my other fleece items off in my back yard. It works great.

purplepenguin22

Cavy Slave
denise mabie
do you wash the fleece in your washer??

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I do. I just make sure I sweep it off before. I put it in. I am having no problems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.