Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Cosmo has given up peppers?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to double check, since the search function isn't working well on mobile:

Does KMS Timothy complete have enough vitamin C per 1/8 cup of pellets to be a complete source of vitamin C for a 3 lb guinea pig?

Cosmo has, over the last two weeks, decided that he will no longer eat bell peppers. It started with him only eating the skin off of the yellow peppers that I had, so I switched back to green. He normally prefers green bell peppers to the other colors, but he won't touch them at all. He eats a ton of hay, all of his pellets, and most of his other veggies. Sometimes he ignores the center or cucumber, but it's mostly water so I'm not worried about that behavior.

Is he getting enough from his pellets, or should I be supplementing him some other way?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd probably supplement him by sprinkling part of a ground-up vitamin C tablet over his food.

But don't give up on the peppers. Mine take them by spells, but they always come back around to eating them.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Cool, thanks.

lennier1

Cavy Slave
I always try to mix up what vegetables I feed mine. Have you tried other vitamin C sources like greens and brussels sprouts?

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I feed my piggies two "courses" of veg at night. I first feed the high vitamin C veg (typically peppers/capsicum) and only feed the lower vitamin C veg afterwards after everyone has eaten enough peppers/capsicum for my liking. I find piggies tend to get excited about being fed veg and if I feed the high vitamin C veg first they maintain that excitement, eat more peppers, and can't selectively feed on, I don't know, other yummy veg that might not be as vitamin rich. Might be worth a try for your piggy. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.