Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Witnessed something horrible!

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
At the weekend I was dropping off a bed I sold to someone online, I saved it for her for about 3 months so she could save up and buy it off me.
Anyway I eventually delivered this yesterday and at first I was like oh theres some lovely houses around here, she had a 2 tier hutch outside her house which was empty, so I assumed she was getting rid or something.

She had 2 dogs sitting in the car - I assume so they didn't get in the way of us moving the bed in.

So anyway I walked inside and omg the mess + smell was horrendous. it was like something from them hoarder programmes!

she had 2 gerbils in cages in the front room, her young daughter then came downstairs (must of been about 11 years old) and told me about her gerbils, she mentioned she had 17!!!! guinea pigs! and 3 rabbits.
I knew they had horses on a farm somewhere so thought oh they are probably living on the farm with them.
NOPE they were upstairs in the bathroom!! girls in the bath boys on the floor on some newspaper.
excrement EVERYWHERE! no sign of food or water that I could see. I was horrified, there were flys everywhere too!!!!
Oh and 3 very large rabbits living with the gps as well!!!

They were both so nice and seemed to love their animals, but omg that's no way for humans or animals to live!

When we went to leave she offered us free riding lessons on her horse, I was like erm thanks is that to try and get me to pull a blind eye on what I have just witnessed!

I asked why they were in the bloody bath and she said oh its only temporary.
where are you going to keep 17 guinea pigs in a small 2 bed house.
I know I should report her but wouldn't she know it was me? I felt so sorry for the little girl as well, sucha sweet child living like that.

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
I asked if they were planning to sell the guinea pigs to which I was told no!

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Give an anonymous report to the local animal enforcement program(police, aspca)
as mean as it may sound their home is only going to spiral further out of control. What happens when a male guinea gets to a female and gets her pregnant? Was that bathroom even big enough for 17?
plus that little girl is learning that it's totally ok to keep the animals like that. It isn't.
As mean as it may sound unless you honestly believe those animals are better off than they would be in a guinea pig shelter, you need to report that.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I think you should report them. Especially as it doesn't seem like it was an accidental litter. It's not fair on the pigs to live in their poop. It is very hard to take care of that many pigs (cleaning my 3-pig cage takes long enough) properly, and, because they are in her rom, it seems like she is the sole caretaker. If they had to save up for 3 months to buy a bed, where will they get the funds for 17 vet trips if a contagious uri passes round the herd? (Which is very likely considering the conditions)
If they really loved them they wouldn't keep them in the poop with flies. (Even to someone with no clue about pet care, it should be obvious to keep their home clean...)
What food did they have?

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I also think you should report them. That's completely unhealthy, first of all, for the child living there. And of course not healthy for the animals either. Perhaps it will be a wake up call for this women and how she lives. (not saying everyone should be a clean freak, but this sounds completely unsanitary).

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
They weren't in the girls room, they were living in the bathroom. on the floor + in the bath! (must of been freezing too covered in wee)
yes I was thinking that, they took so long to give me £200 for a bed. thinking about it now I wish I told her to keep the money to look after them and not given her the bed. but it was for her daughter as they were doing her room up apparently..
you know what we delivered it on Sunday and its now Tuesday, we actually forgot to drop the slats off - moving house they were under the bed in the old flat, and she hasn't asked me for them...
exactly, I spent £50 on 1 guinea pigs visit to the vets just the other week, it makes me wonder how they get by!
Honestly I didn't see any food or water. there were random boxes and various things for them to hide in. I didn't go inside the bathroom, but stood by the door but I didn't notice and sign of food. they were squeaking very loud when we walked downstairs so I gather they were hungry! :(

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
there was just mess everywhere too. I went to walk upstairs and was just walking on clothes and other items which were just on the floor, I couldn't see the carpet! I think it was beige at one point. lol

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Then you need to report them. Before they add more animals to the mix

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Or you could be sneaky, go deliver the slats and snap a pic, send the pic to animal control

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
that's a brilliant idea saylavi!! ill see what I can do at the weekend.

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
Ive just logged onto the RSPCA website and reported them. I have her name and address and have also passed this on.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Good for you, and good courage. What a shock this must have been. I wonder where they clean themselves if their bathroom is permanently occupied. In the kitchen sink? Social services may even be involved in this one.

Maybe they needed your new bed because the animals chewed through the first one, and now they've been confined to a bathroom.

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
It had to be done, I cant stop thinking about them, I was godsmacked when I saw how they were living.

when I said I had guinea pigs too and if I could see them, she said oh they are upstairs temporarily till I sort out more hutches.
what I also don't get is they have a large 2 level hutch outside its in good nick! I actually had the exact same one. why are they cooped up upstairs?! even put a handful of them in there at least.
she told me she takes them out when they use the shower...
but seriously the flies, I don't know how they live like that id rather sleep on the streets!
yes that poor young girl too, she seemed very sweet and caring.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
thank god you called it in! they are going to be taken into a safe place! you did the right thing

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Good for you. Do you have mandated reporters? If you do, I suppose you could always claim that you think you are one (or maybe you are one), if she does suspect you were the one who reported her. Or I'm sure the RSPC is a mandated reporter of some type and you could say you wanted them to view the living conditions of the child to determine if it was okay because you had concerns.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I'm so glad you had the courage to report them. It's really best for all involved.

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
Even if they know it was you which is more important; them like in you or the 17 cavies??

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
Quick update, I dropped off the slats yesterday but she met me at the door and it was quite quick, but I still saw loads of flies on the curtains inside - obv couldn't see the GP's upstairs or where they were.
she seemed okay so I assume nothing has been done yet about the animals... the dogs were still running about the house.
I did ask them to keep me updated but nothing as of yet, they are probably very busy :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.