Thread: G pigs has never used their water bottles & one is pregn

Gigabryce
    Visitor

G pigs has never used their water bottles & one is pregn

I've had my two female g. pig for around a month or two. One's pregnant and one not very nice at all. They have never used the water bottles that I've provided for them since I got them. I've tried putting veggies, fruit on it, etc. Can someone help?
    For the pregnancy it's going to be my first, but Gods with me. The pregnant one Shadow is 2 months and a week. The other one which is Rosie is 2 months and two weeks old. I can use any other advice you have.

Thanks.

CavyCowgirl
    Visitor

Re: G pigs has never used their water bottles & one is p

They haven't used their water bottle for about a month?

Perhaps they haven't used one before?

Try a water bowl and fill it with water and put it under the water bottle and maybe they'll get the idea.

Unfortunately the water bowls get filthy easily.

Maybe put a small amount of unsweetened cranberry juice in with the water inside of the water bottle to bribe them to drink.

If you have vitamin C supplements in the water than take it out because they might not like the taste.

How did your ginea pig get pregnant?

I hope all goes well with her pregnancy.

In the meantime if your guinea pig still isn't drinking enough, make sure they get watery veggies like cucumber so they don't get dehydrated.

Hope this helps,

----------Ally

Gigabryce
    Visitor

I want to thank you

Thank you so much for you help and the info. Shadow give birth to three piggies and they are in a loving home and Shadow & Rosie learned to drink from the water bottle from the little piggies. Thank God they are doing great.

Thanks again.

CavyCowgirl
    Visitor

Re: I want to thank you

I am glad to hear that everything turned out ok!!!!

----------Ally

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Careless Water Bottles

My Guinea Pig Has Not Been Using His Water Bottle For A Month Now....i Put Water On His Veggies.....he Is Still Urinating But He Use To Drink From It All The Time....don't Know What To Do Either...mines A Male

Julie

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JULIE
    My Guinea Pig Has Not Been Using His Water Bottle For A Month Now....i Put Water On His Veggies.....he Is Still Urinating But He Use To Drink From It All The Time....don't Know What To Do Either...mines A Male

Julie
    Mime Female GP didn't drink also when I put just plain water. After I put vitamin drop to the water ( believe make water sweet and smell good ) she start drink from the bottle. She is 3 months old and drinking about 100ml. You might try puting some sweetener.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,461 Rec'd/802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale
    It is NOT a good idea to add ANY 'sweetener' to the water of a guinea pig. Guinea pigs do NOT process sugar well at all. It is NOT recommended to put vitamin drops in the water -- AT ALL. The ONLY additional supplement that guinea pigs need is Vitamin C. Vitamin C breaks down very quickly in LIGHT and WATER, rendering the approach useless. For MOST guinea pigs, it makes the water taste bad, thereby discouraging them from drinking AND vitamin drops contain OTHER things that the guinea pig DOESN'T need and that can be toxic to them.

The only other liquid that is ever recommended for cavies is UNSWEETENDED (hard to find) Cranberry Juice that has been diluted with water to help them fend off Urinary Tract Infections. And that would be in a water bottle IN ADDITION to their plain water bottle.

User Tag List