Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Guessing a close estimate to a rabbit's age???

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I DO NOT HAVE A RABBIT WITH MY GUINEA PIGS, I AM ASKING THIS QUESTION FOR A FRIEND.

A super dear friend of mine got a little bunny girl named Honey Marie 2 weeks ago and she was curious of how she could figure out her age. I am not 100% sure where she got her, but it was either the animal shelter or the pet store...

that is besides the point though! I was curious if there is any way to guess age by weight? I know from my piggies that around 6 months old, all three of mine weighed close to if not a few grams above 600 grams. If not by weight, then can you guess age by length?

She isn't tight on money, but she doesn't want to go to a vet and pay $50 for a 5 minutes exam to estimate age if you know what I mean...

She showed me photos of Honey and she looks pretty little, and she also mentioned that she fits in one hand still.

If any of your bunny parents out there could let me know, that would be awesome! :)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would imagine a very rough estimation could be made as long as the rabbit is not fully grown, but it would vary depending on breed. Do you happen to know the breed of your friends rabbit?

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Know the breed. Second, look under the hind feet. You can tell a rabbit's age by its hind feet and observe whether the fur is worn down. Gently run your fingers along the feet and up the ankles to look for callouses. Chances are you cannot see it with your eye, only feel it with your fingers. What you are looking for with your eyes is fur slightly worn down. It's not easy to age a rabbit but you can very easily do it if you know the breed and spent a couple of minutes with the hind feet.

The rabbit will become quickly annoyed with you touching its feet so remember to have its bum cupped securely in your 4 fingers and gently let your thumb of the same hand feel underneath. Your other hand should be securely supporting under its armpits and the neck. If you are not sure how to do this, take it to the nearest Rabbit Association/Rescue and ask them for help.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@Soecara I messaged her and asked :) just waiting for a reply.
[MENTION=36272]Sunrise[/MENTION] Thank you! :)

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@Soecara [MENTION=36272]Sunrise[/MENTION] she's a Holland Lop!

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Cute! Holland lops are great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.