Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Have a vet visit planned but . . .

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! I already have a vet visit planned for my little buzz tomorrow but just wondered if there might be anything I can do to help him!? He seems to be a little bit blocked up - an I'm hoping I've got the right word with impacted? Or compacted? He's alert enough an eating an drinking fine but I started to notice sticky poos an today his bum area has needed quite a good clean. He's not the best of the pigs at being handled anyway but is there anything I can do to try an make him more comfy? Xx I've cleaned them out an out lots of extra snuggle stuff in for him xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I ended up rushing him in last night but she can't see a problem with him! He's got a bit of conjunctivitis so I have drops but today he looks quite sorry for himself! She said to up his fiber in take for a few days so how can I do this? Xx please help xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
More fiber? How?

So one of my boys is a little under the weather an the vets advice was to put him on a higher fiver diet for a bit - I get that's hay an his pellets but is there anything else I can give him for a boost? Xx

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Does he have constant access to hay?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Yes I did consider putting an extra couple of piles in incase he can't be bother to pull it from the rack but then I'm pretty sure they'd just end up messing in it! Lol xx

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: More fiber? How?

Is this an exotic vet? Because hay is about as high fiber a diet as you can get, unless you're feeding too many veggies and not enough hay.

How much hay does he get, and what kind?

What kind of symptoms is he having?

Edited by bpatters: Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. I'm merging this with your other thread on your pig.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
He has plenty of hay I've been putting extra hay boxes in his cage an he's been in an out munching all day xx he's still alert enough just tending to sit still looking a little puffed up the rest of the time! His eyes are clearing up but his nose looked a little crusty tonight but again he sat on my knee munching his hay happily xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Well today he's really gone down hill �� Fingers crossed he makes it through tonight so I can get him back to the vets tomorrow xx I've got warm hot bottles well wrapped up an extra blankets xx but he's only eating very small amounts now xx

Katie Vetter

Cavy Slave
Could you maybe try force feeding him? Try smashing up his pellets with a bit of warm water to make a mash and syringe it to him.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Oh that's a fab idea! But I don't have a syringe �� Xx I do feel quite helpless but he is now snuggled on a warm hot water bottle with his brother cuddling up with him �� Just 1 more night xx

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get a free syringe from any pharmacy if you tell them it's to feed a sick animal. And food is the most important thing you can do for him if he isn't eating. Guinea pigs are engineered to require food going through their stomachs at all times. If it isn't, they develop painful stomach ulcers that can perforate, and that's deadly.

You can make a slurry out of pulverized pellets and water and feed him that way. See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for tips on how to do it.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your help guys xx I'll update you all in the morning (uk time!) lol xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Little update I've searched high an low an found an un used droplet type instrument so have managed to get a tiny amount into him I could feel his jaw go an he kept looking for more xx I stopped when he did changed his warm bottle an left him in the quiet again xx I'll go back in a few hours an try again? Xx

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he's not eating, he needs 50-60 cc of Critical Care or a slurry for every kilogram that he weighs. A dropper is NOT going to give him that. You'll be sitting up all night giving him .5 cc at a time.

Not eating is serious business. How much of his hay/pellets/veggies is he eating?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
My problem is it's almost 10.30 on here so I don't have much other option �� Xx just trying to do the best I can for the little man xx

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
See if he will eat any off a spoon. the dropper is too small but its possible if he likes it he will eat some off the spoon by himself.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
All of the above. But also best to retrace your steps and uncover how he came upon this condition in the first place. New pig? Too small a cage? New kibble? Retrace the steps. Agreed on more hay, less unknown kibble if it is a new brand. Hope he comes around.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Sad to report that Buzz past away about an hour ago :( I was up feeding him bits here an there all night but he was just too poorly thanks for all your advice though guys xx just sorry I couldn't do more for him xx

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I am sorry you had to go through that

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.